Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Readers' Choice: What Is Glamour?





































































You have to admit, this is lots of fun. 

Next week let's attack: elegance, style and my personal favorite, charm.

Some of my best ideas (that sounds like Cherie speaking) come in the middle of the night so I keep a notebook and pen next to the bed just in case. Unfortunately I haven't had any brilliant, life changing ideas. However, I did come up with three more women last night. I wonder if you will agree. Carolina Herrera, Valerie Plame and Jacqueline Bisset. (I always thought Candice Bergen was glamorous, but now I'm not so sure.)








































































































































Can you get anymore glamorous than a beautiful spy? And that's it from me. 

At 2 a.m. I interviewed My-Reason-For-Living-In-France -- he's absolutely crazy about these nocturnal grillings -- who said, "You. Now go to sleep." 

Never one to give up, I said, "No, I'm serious, give me some examples."

He said: "I'm serious too. Go to sleep."

This morning at breakfast he said he thinks generally speaking one sees almost no glamour these days. Maybe I'll have to do the post on the women who were glamorous and set the bar so high few can reach it these days.

Here then are your choices: Juliette Binoche, Diana Krall, Kate Winslet, Penelope Cruz, Christy Turlington, and Marisa Berenson.

Anita, Je t'embrasse.

Tabitha, take it as a compliment.

Duchesse, I always find your observations fascinating. I seriously could have added my mother to the list, but I felt to make a point where we could all join in the conversation I needed to choose women with whom we were familiar. How about if any of you are up to the challenge, send me pictures of women -- mothers, friends, aunts, cousins, whomever and tell me about them and voila a post on real women who radiate that magic je ne sais quoi?

Let me know what you think.

Pictures from the top: Valerie Plame, the famous spy; Jacqueline Bisset; Carolina Hererra; Penelope Cruz; Kate Winslet; Juliette Binoche; Diana Krall; Marisa Berenson; and Christy Turlington. 

15 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

I would love to be glamorous but I often end up looking dressed down/borderline scruffy! Great glamorous choices - I'd like to add Julianne Moore to the mix.

knitpurl said...

Before I get blown away in this furious wind here in the States' Midwest, I will vote for J. Bissett.

And my dear Tish, as I leave to visit my attorney, you would be proud as you've taught us well. My appearance is suitable for any woman attending to business, personal or otherwise, thank you very much, xoxoxo, C.

LPC said...

IMO, Herrera beats everyone in that photo if only by virtue of her stance.

Le garçon avec les lunettes said...

so nice immages!!!

Ladie Sophia, Count'Tesse of Suffolke said...

Glamorous!...Ladies...

Thanks.

Russian Chic said...

Dear Tish,
Please do the post on the women who were glamorous. Thank you.

BODECI body said...

Are they beautiful or what! You are so wonderful to remind us "femme d'Un certain age" what it really is all about. It is possible to have lived a life and to live beautiful today. Love this post. Thank you for your inspiration.

Duchesse said...

With the exception of Turlington, these women are all "dressed up". Is the ability to wear formal clothes without looking awkward a criterion?

Ava Gardner (of the women whose photographs are accessible) is still the essence of glamour to me. I like my glamour with a whiff of decadence, a lethal combination.

Gretchen said...

If we're going to differentiate "glamour" from elegance in next week's efforts, this will be like splitting hairs with some of the women posted. Carolina Herrera...elegant. Cotillard...elegant. Audrey (Tatou)...charming. And, should we add a category for "fabulous" for women who are role models for their intelligence, grace, and sheer radiance of all that is honorable, but who may not be quite elegant or glamorous? I'm thinking of Jodie Foster, Meryl Streep, Olympia Snowe in America, women all who are just plain astonishing, but who perhaps don't tip the scales towards glamour. Splitting hairs, I'd reason...And, if given the opportunity for self-identification, what would most of us choose?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Gretchen makes excellent points. Clearly we are never to know which of these women live their daily lives with glamour and elgance today. Most are styled and shussed to within an inch for
photographs. Olympia Snow is a women of the highest style and personal values. Different things.
Grace Kelly was glamour-yes for some reason Elizabeth Taylor while utterly beautiful wasn't glamorous. In today's generation Beyonce is glamorous, Gaga, not.

Belle de Ville said...

Working in a business where I know that every major star is dressed by stylist for all photography, I don't find actresses, models or celebrities to be glamorous. They are all composed by others.

I'm with LPC on this. Carolina Herrera is indeed glamorous.

Britta said...

Like your 'Reason to Live in Paris' I think real glamour is no longer wildly spread in the world. My husband (the only professor for Popular Culture in Germany) wrote about the "Diva" and the "Star" - there aren't many divas left (stars we have a lot). Divas had always glamour. Nowadays maybe Sophia Loren. Maybe late Lady Di.
In my eyes you need distance, elegance, luxury, wit, a pedestal, a fine stairway to come down glamourously :-), worshippers, not 'fans' - more stylish black&white than shrill colours. Madonna tries so very hard, but will never get it, - yes: effortlessly elegance is important too - style, confinement to one "Image", not copying, uniqueness - I could go on and on, such an interesting theme! Britta

metscan said...

Of all the women so far, J.Bissett is my favorite too. I´m not judging by glamour, only by instinct. She has that something, she fills my criteria: Beautiful, but not too perfect!

Kim said...

Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes are my favorite actors! Love them in everything they do!

Beth Hazelton said...

So glad to see Juliette Binoche here...she is true glamour for sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...