Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Weekend In The Country



















The latest and not quite last crop (still lots of green tomatoes clinging to life and hope) from the now freshly weeded, thanks to The Little One, potager.



















As we speak, the wooden cageot (crate?) of tomatoes, picked this morning, is being turned into sauce for the winter. Andrea and I just returned from the market with carrots, garlic and onions, which we did not plant chez nous. We have celery in the garden, which will also be added to the sauce, at least I think it will be. Let's be honest, I'm not the one making it. I'm the one watching it being made.

Remember I appreciate the domestic arts, and occasionally try my hand, but this skill, I believe, "depasses," as the French say my competence. 

Or, as one of my best French friends cautions, "If you don't want to do something; don't tell anyone you know how to do it."

Et voila!

A demain for the weekly calendar.

11 comments:

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

LETITIA! what a crop! I admire and envy you, I love tomatoes. the Little one here( 5ft11...) managed 6 cherry tomatoes this year; in her defense, Larchmont does not exactly qualify as la campagne... bravo to both fermieres/ cuisinieres.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I have to say my cucumbers are at an end, but as I have picked well over 50 I am not sorry to see them come to an end! Still masses of tomatoes, peppers,chillies and beans. Diane

Deja Pseu said...

Those tomatoes are gorgeous! My cherry tomatoes just keep on coming, and now that we're finally having a heat wave I'll probably get another wave of ripening (while we're out of town, bien sur!).

I think my fennel may be just about ready to come out of the ground, though...

Young at Heart said...

I have tagged you.......if you fancy having a go pop over to mine!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

teeeheee! Elle a raison! Oh how sensuous vegetables are...the flavor, texture and the possibilities are those small wonders in life that make me want to raise my pink champagne glass every time! ENJOY LE WEEK-END dearest! Anita

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Those tomatoes look amazing and there are so many what a great crop! I love the way fresh home grown tomatoes smell...you don't get that with the ones sold at grocery shops...
Your potager has been very fruitfull this summer, you must be so pleased.
Have fun in the kitchen!

Wildernesschic said...

Those tomatoes look divine !!
I have tagged you in a fashion post over at mine I thought you may enjoy it xx

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Your crop is bountiful this year & such beautiful colors of red. Transforming these beauties into a gorgeous sauce sounds like fun; watching or cooking. Now I desire a tasty lasagna or spaghetti.

Wishing you a fabulous fall weekend. xo Deb

Beadboard UpCountry said...

Hi Tish!
OOH your last crop looks good! I wish I could be there making sauce, hope you're having a glass of vino whilst slaveing away in the kitchen! Maryanne xo

Jeanne said...

Happy cooking Tish, I wouldn't mind hanging around your kitchen today!

Jeanne :)

My Carolina Kitchen said...

Excellent advice Tish. I'll have to remember that.

Lovely tomates.
Sam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...