Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Part II: Gray Matters









































































































































































































Sometimes best laid plans and all that. . . 

I had intended to get back to gray later, but I found so many things I like and since I'm an excessive monkey brain, I thought, "Let's get right to it so everyone has time to think and shop."

A word of fashion advice from French Elle on the subject of wearing and finding the ultimate gray flannel trousers without looking too, heaven forbid, BCBG (preppy). The formula: choose a high waistband for more femininity; go for a heathered gray (this fashion editor says, "whatever"); opt for wide bottoms -- not bell, but wide boot cut -- with the polish of a cuff (I so agree); wear pants long, almost touching the ground (that means you can only wear them with one pair of shoes or one collection of shoes with the exact same heel so decide early on).  

And finally, Elle suggests, team up your pants with gold boots and a snug leather blouson in the "fauve" family -- camel-ish -- so we can have the two hot seasonal color trends under control, gray and camel. I suspect the "gold" reference was not the metal family, but rather in the vast tobacco-ish colors of leather, at least I hope so.

Gray from the top:
  • Eileen Fisher
  • Talbots -- twice
  • Repetto ballerines
  • Loro Piana (the most expensive item on this post)
  • Talbot gray flannel trousers (I've found it's difficult to find them this year. I have four pairs so I'm literally covered. I didn't want you to worry on my account.)
  • Landsend cashmere shawl
  • American vintage tunics, both in gray even though one looks black (or dresses for those who dare)
  • Lands' End cashmere V-neck and T-shirt
  • J.Jill

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

I just received the last item/photo you post here in the mail yesterday and it is fabulous. I love the fabric and the fit.

Deja Pseu said...

Oh. la. la. Love these!!! BTW, I have last year's version of that Talbot's pintucked cardi (in black and olive green) and it's fabulous. I may have to plunk down for the gray...

Clarity said...

Pretty gorgeous. I also want the makeup of picture 1) ... and the haircut. Give me the lot.

X

knitpurl said...

Gorgeous, need to seriously add more grey. Have the camel already.
Shopping, what could be more fun?
xoxo, C.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone else find that gray doesn't really suit them? I love the color but it looks terrible on me, a redhead.

I find it only works on icy blonds. IMHO.

Charlene said...

LOVE these outfits---every single piece. I used to think gray didn't look good on me but have realized that, as a femme d'un certain age, it's less harsh with my coloring than black. I'm impressed that you're still blogging and giving us such great ideas while you're daughter is there! Hope you're enjoying the visit.

LPC said...

Anon - I can't wear gray either. It's my camel, if you will. I love the color, owned a long gray TSE cashmere cowl that I loved. But it never looked very good near my face. Oh well. Camel is nice. So is olive drab:).

Charlene said...

Tish, I've been reading your blog for about a year now (without ever commenting) and thought you should know how much I truly enjoy it! You've taught me so much about French lifestyle and fashion. Recently when your computer connection was down, you weren't the only one who was missing her addiction! Merci mille fois!!

Marsi said...

Lots of stylish options here for those of us on the wrong side of the Atlantic, Tish. You've really done your homework.

Bisous!

Belle de Ville said...

I love the gray ballet flat. Do you know where they sell these in the US?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I love all of these...and I do wear lots of grey.
It's a great colour that works with so many other shades.
You manage to find the best!

Duchesse said...

Land's End previously offered a deep v-neck that was perfect without a shirt, not this year. How I miss that.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Marvelous dearest, just gorgeous. And my husband also loves your choices as well! Now you got me wanting to go out and get more grays....what a witty title!!! Anita

Cathi said...

I love all the gray's - and the camel together with it is fabulous! :) xxoo

Carmie, the Single Nester said...

I have really been into gray this year. There is something sexy and comfortable about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...