Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The LBDs d'Eté






































































































































































































































































































































For the sake of facility, let's agree that black and white are colors. Merci

Now that we have that out of the way, let's include the vast range of beiges, creams, off-whites, greiges, ecru, egg shells and on and on as a color family. Merci.

I have now established the color spectrum I see everywhere on the streets of Paris and in the country. I'm talking about dresses. They are either black, white or that myriad family of non-whites.

We all agree, I think, that white is refreshingly clean, crisp and cool whether we wear it or not. Same goes for the beige brigade in general.

Black is another story. One either loves it in the summer or avoids it altogether. Obviously it gets my vote.

Soon we'll all be obliged to talk about fall, but I like the idea of prolonging summer right up and into the last balmy days. This post then is dedicated to the Little Black Dress of Summer from the runway to those chosen by France's first lady, Carla Bruni Sarkozy.

My thinking is, the majority are seasonless and maybe, just maybe there are still some hanging around the markdown racks. You really should check.

From the top: Paul & Joe, Ralph Lauren (I'm asking myself, "Is that navy blue?" Pretty either way, but breaks the theme unfortunately.), Diane Von Furstenberg, Michael Kors, Jil Sander, Max Mara, Ferragamo, Sportmax and Anne Valérie Hash.

My favorite of all Madame Sarkozy's choices is the ultra-simple perfection of the cap-sleeved dress she is wearing with her husband. I'm also wondering whether the sublime off the shoulder number isn't also navy blue. 

Hmmm, is navy blue the new black?

No, I don't think so. 

News Flash: As you are reading this, Madame Sarkozy is about to begin filming her cameo role in the Woody Allen film, "Midnight In Paris." The French looooove Woody Allen because he's an INTELLECTUAL.

11 comments:

Deja Pseu said...

Love all of these except that last one which looks a bit too Bo Derek in Malibu for me.

I don't love Woody Allen, but I do love most of his movies, if that makes any sense. I still adore Carla. I'll definitely go see this one when it comes out.

knitpurl said...

Jil Sander and Ferragamo get my vote mostly because there's a flair to the skirt and more on the shoulders. Madame Sarkozy always looks gorgeous.

I sometimes wonder about summer black here in the Midwest, so appreciate your repeated blogging that it's OK to wear. Also, appreciated the comment on navy blue.

Not a Woody Allen fan either, but this new film could be worth viewing for the cameos in it.
xoxoxo

JMW said...

France's First Lady is so very stylish - I love how she can pair ballet flats with a black dress and look so gorgeous (those of us who are height-challenged can't always get away with that look).

Belle de Ville said...

Carla looks stunning, as always, even though I find it inappropriate for Madame Sarkozy to be acting in a Woody Allen film while she should be concentrating on acting like the First Lady of France.

Rebecca said...

LBD's are my absolute all-time favorite fashion choices. Thanks for compiling such an excellent collection. I still wear and get compliments on one that I bought over 25 years ago. It is timeless!

Colette said...

oh the little black dress...love it! "when in doubt- go for black." I also believe in this rule when decorating. especially black lamp shades. Colette x La Brocanteuse

Dumbwit Tellher said...

As it is often stated, "once you go black you never go back". I often love navy & black together. Tabu, not quite sure? Hope you are having a lovely week? xx

puddinglane said...

Black is always in fashion, when dressing for an occasion I think - if in doubt wear black- and it has always felt right.
The older I get the more I wear black, because it simplifies - then I can always carry a scarfe in my bag to glitz it up a notch if needed.
Dianne xx

LuxeBytes said...

Carla always looks so fresh and pretty.

Le Woody might be an intellectual, but he's also neurotic in a way that isn't endearing to me. I honestly find him excruciatingly self-indulgent.

xoxox

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

For the love of Jil Sander;-)

Lily Lemontree said...

Madame Sarkozy is a lady after my own 'LBD' loving heart. I am a big fan of the LBD for the summer. (and quite frankly, the spring, winter and fall too!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...