Monday, July 26, 2010

Going Verticale
























It's been weeks since I've talked about the ubiquitous mariniere, which according to my sources, is not only everywhere on the streets of France but also throughout the world. And I realize I made a promise to not talk about them ever again. So I'm not. 

This is a lead in to an alternative: vertical stripes! Yes, for all of those who thought the sailor T-shirt was sort of appealing, but hesitated because of the optical illusion created by the direction of its stripes, now is the time to think vertical.























Indeed, vertical is the New Way to go (I made this up, but I believe it) and if you're lucky you might be able to go right into a man's closet in your house and swipe one without having to get dressed and go shopping. 

They look fresh, crisp and they are not the white shirt you are almost as sick of having me rave on about as the above mentioned tee. The blue and white stripes don't have the possibilities of the white shirt, but they look so snappy in the summer. At the top from the Raf Collection and below, the Gap.

It's your call whether you want to find one cut for a woman's body or go the boyfriend route. 























See what I stumbled across, the perfect finish to your vertical stripes -- horizontal stripes on your espadrilles to echo the theme. Just add jeans or white linen trousers and you are ready to go. (And why not bermudas if you have what it takes to wear them? You know what I'm talking about, and it's not age.)

Is this exciting or what? I've got you all dressed and ready to go. Just add creoles.

The espadrilles are from Maurice et Moi.

Ed. Note: Let's not puh-leese even think about the notion of horizontal stripes making a foot appear wider. OK.  Merci par avance.

Oh yes, another thing: Do not, repeat, do not even consider adding red to your blues and whites. The national holidays are over and you should have gotten over that bleu, blanc, rouge/red, white and blue urge long, long ago. Enough said.  We don't do cute.

12 comments:

Julienne said...

A few nights ago they did a test of vertical and horizontal stripes on a science show (TV). Same figure, same colour...and blow me down if horizontal stripes didn't win hands down!!!!!! Much more slimming...I knew that all along...teeheehee! I just love blue and white stripes either way!

JMW said...

Love, love the striped espadrilles! The shirt is a classic - I own a couple just like it.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Love the espadrilles...feel very Breton to me.

Colette said...

I love the first shirt with the touch of red..on the button holes and little emblem..
and..got myself the exact pair of espadrilles in blue/ white as well as caramel/white. our summer still on it's way so will have to wait till then to wear... but so happy I did! have a good week. Colette x

Belle de Ville said...

I adore those espadrilles...they scream Antibes to me.

A Thousand Clapping Hands said...

I always feel so spiffy in blue and white stripes. Just looked down and I'm wearing it at this moment! I want those espadrilles.
Catherine

BigLittleWolf said...

There is something so clean and so classic about stripes. Timeless.

Metropolitan Mum said...

I could live in blue and white stripes alone. Just need the matching beach to round of the look.

itztru said...

Yesterday I went to my office in a classic blue and white stripe shirt and white jeans...the gentleman in front of me had on a blue and white stripe shirt as well. Ah, an office uniform. Today, we've decided on a pale yellow linen shirt with khakis. I think we're on to something. Men seem so effortless in their dress. Why are we always anguishing over how to "style" something!? Thank you for pointing out simple (yet sometimes obvious) choices!

POOKIE said...

I LOVE the striped espradrilles! I could just live in those shoes in the summer time--I came home with several pairs last trip to France.

Trish

Marieanne said...

Oh, how I adore a crisp striped shirt. Very nice, Tish.

knitpurl said...

I'm all for vertical stripes. Yes Tish, "We don't do cute". LOL
xoxox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...