Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Town(!!!) & Country: Out and About















































































































The challenge this week was not with my subjects, but rather with the raindrops. 

You can see these pictures were taken on several different days. Instead of being a serious photo-journalist (ahem) and setting out when the sun was bright and beckoning, this weekend I lolled, read and bent over occasionally to pull up an errant weed.

The rest of the time I gazed in wonder and admiration at our new potager and watched as Fernand planted five new rose bushes. Pure bliss. 

Yesterday I drove into Paris especially to snap some shots. Everyone was lovely, I must have my patter down perfectly now -- that and the chic card of course.

Only one sweet lady refused. She said to me: "No, you simply can't. You have no idea how old I am. I'm not pretty. Look at all the pretty girls on the street. You are absolutely adorable, but I would ruin everything for you."

Let me tell you, she was stunning and I told her so, but she would have none of it even when I explained I purposely never take pictures of very young women. Too bad for us.























(The blond lab sun bathing in front of his master's beauty salon got up and walked inside when I tried for a second, close-up shot. Guess that's sort of a "merci, mais non.")



































































As for trends: ballerinas continue and sandals are beginning to come out. Some are the strappy, strappy gladiator types, others are classics, lots are silver. The beautiful blonde all the way at the top (holding my card btw) is wearing suede sandals and gray nail polish on her toes.

The trendy woman in the gray dress toting a large Chanel bag (I somehow managed not to get in the picture) has shocking pink on her toes and the jolie femme in the black sun dress, sunglasses and silver sandals has crimson on hers.

And that's the news dans les rues this week.

The first group of photos are in Paris, the second in the village you know so well. I've been trying for ages to catch someone on a bicycle. This charming woman is my first. I hope there will be more. As she pointed out she wasn't supposed to be on the sidewalk, but it made it much easier for me to trot along side and only have to worry about being run down by pedestrians and not cars.

19 comments:

Debra said...

I adore your Town and Country days. These women are all lovely and prove that fashion and style can come with ease. I have seen the gray polish a lot lately- I'm not quite there.
Wish you would show us your card...

My Carolina Kitchen said...

Charming as always Tish. I always look forward to the Town & Country days.
Sam

Claudia said...

Heyy!! Omigod i really like your blog!! So cute!!!

You have a lovely town!

I am a new follower of yours!

Care to follow me back??

http://fashionandpoise.blogspot.com

Duchesse said...

The time of year when one sees everything from the most minimal sandal to black tights and tall boots.

Semi Expat said...

So love your photos on the street.. such a great post Tish. Only yesterday I tried on a pair of those greeny military type trousers and wondered "are they a little too jeune for me?" and "how would I wear them" - well, your photographic subjects have answered this question for me! Thank you...x

James said...

One of my weeks highlights, thank you.

aaonce said...

Wow, you deserve to be commended for your efforts (of course the woman who turned you down only voiced what we all think, that you are indeed very lovely!).
I love it when you capture women with different colorings (dark and light hair) so that it is easy to see how the trend looks on different bodies/colorings. Great job as usual.

metscan said...

So good to see real people instead the very much unreal ones. You are doing better week after week in your attempts catching people. I liked the second last best!

JMW said...

I just love this series that you feature each week! The shoes in the first photo are must-haves! And I love the lady sporting the black sundress. Such a lovely frock!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the woman at the top.

Dear Cherie:

Please tell me that you've seen Marc Jacobs posing greasy and naked for his new men's fragrance, Bang. Please tell me you have a keen take on this homme d'un certain age in the midst of a spectacular midlife crisis. Please. I could use a laugh!

xoxox --
Marsi

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I think this is my favourite post every week!

Britta said...

It makes one feel so good (as I quite often do on my own) to look at your photographs! Pictures for high spirits! And your idea to choose silvergrey pearls as a symbol for being older-but-glamorous: fantastic! Thanks a lot for inspiration
Britta

Belle de Ville said...

Even with the rain, it looks like the weather is warmer in Paris than it is in Los Angeles.

Jacqueline said...

Dear Tish,
Sorry that I've been AWOL. I seem to have been rather busy this week.
What beautifully turned out women. My favourites are (and nothing against the others !!) the lady on the bike. the lady in the grey knotted dress and, the lady in the last picture looks as if she has a lampshade on her head !! haha.
I had grey nail varnish for our son and daughter-in- law's wedding 18 months ago.....I think it was me who set that particular trend !!!! haha. XXXX

That's Not My Age said...

Love the first four outfits - lots of denim, khaki and grey marl, three of my favourite things!

Shelley said...

Well done on getting more positive answers from the ladies. I know you could describe the one dissenter if you tried...I'm curious now, what was so fab about her?

Drea said...

Love the sandals and short khakis in the first photo

Lily Lemontree said...

Love all the pics, just beautiful!

Deja Pseu said...

Me again, just noticed two of your Parisiennes are wearing cargo pants. I guess "les cargos" are going to have their day again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...