Thursday, April 29, 2010

Town(!!!) & Country: Out and About















































Beside the point, but nevertheless I'm going to tell you the entire sordid story. 

I was en route to one of my picture taking adventures when it happened. The police again. This latest altercation had me seething. Wild might be a better description of my fury with the flic (that's French for "cop") who stopped me.

Furthermore, I was furious with myself -- it was a routine control, but of course I forgot to do something I'm supposed to do, but didn't know it, but I do know ignorance is not a defense (I'll explain in a second). The officer of the law said to me, "I'm going to 'verbalize' you," whereupon I said, "Oh, merci monsier." 

My-Reason-For-Living-In-France, sitting calmly next to me said, "this is going to be expensive." 

I retorted, "What are you talking about? Of course it's not, he's only 'verbalizing' me."

MRFLIF, said: "That doesn't mean 'oral' it means 'written' which is what he's doing right now, on his book of tickets." 

This is yet another example of my pitiful comprehension of the language. And I thanked him for the ticket!

I forgot, actually didn't realize my car needed to have a check-up with a sticker that proves it was done. I now have seven days to do it and the flic took my carte grise which is proof of my ownership of the car and gave me a piece of paper that permits me to drive it legally for those seven days.

He was so unpleasant and aggressive I wanted to say to him "now I understand why so many French people hate the police," but MRFLIF pointed out 90 Euros was enough for one day and that he surely looked surly enough to want to keep piling on the fines if I totally lost it.















































































































All of that hassle and blood pressure spike for one refusal and one picture in Rambouillet. The woman who declined said she knew all about the Internet and didn't want to have her picture out there. Whatever. (This was 15 minutes after the cop control.)

Back to the subject at hand. Today we have, as I said, one picture from Rambouillet, several from the village near ours and two from Paris. You can see I was not en forme this week.

You can also see the weather is warm one day and chilly the next thus giving us a mix of everything from a Burberry raincoat to Marcels (t-shirt tank tops) and floaty summer linens.

21 comments:

Morgane said...

Sorry about your "flic" story : they are so agressive without reason : i do not understand their behaviour ! Even if you stay very respectfull , they act like "cow-boy" ! disgusting!

Sorry for your bad day and merci pour les photos !

Debra said...

I was recently stopped for not having my car inspected...fortunately the very nice police just told me to get it done within 48 hours...which I winked, nodded and happily went on my way- to the inspection station.
Love your photos!

Deja Pseu said...

Now I have the song, "I fought the law, and the law won" running through my head! So sorry about your run-in with le flic.

Fabulous photos once again. I'm enjoying seeing some warmer-weather styles, need the inspiration right now!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Tish....what an ordeal! Well, just marche aux pieds or reste chez toi for a while and everytime you go out, just be EN GARDE! Yikes....that is sad!

Autrement, I wish you a beautiful Parisian day. Anita

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's the worst! We have a speed trap near our house, and the pigs are always out there in force. I got nailed by them six months ago -- a $280 ticket. I went to court and had it dropped by half. Earlier this week, there were TWO pigs at the speed trap and each had pulled over a speeding motorist. This is how my city copes with the recession and empty coffers. My son will oink or say, "Hey, do you smell bacon??" whenever he sees them.

I want the jacket worn by the woman in the second picture.

xoxox

Vintage French Hen said...

Yikes! I hope you opened a nice bottle of French wine and soaked in the tub after such a horrid day! Just brush it off, don't let him get to you! HE IS SO NOT WORTH IT!
Marcia from Cali

metscan said...

The way you tell your story makes me smile, but really, a 90 euro loss is not funny. About the pictures, there is no specific one`look´, which is good. So good to look at women closer to my own age, the Sartorialist favors younger ones.

Belle de Ville said...

I was always shocked in France by the total hatred of the police. Still, those poor flics have to concentrate on enforcing all those silly rules rather than actually keeping order in the banlieus.
You're having lovely weather...it looks like summer already.

LPC said...

I like the aqua jacket. So interesting, they don't look at all the way women look in Manhattan right now.

knitpurl said...

Poor you, what a sad situation. Well, it's over and new exciting things are in the offing. Your pictures were very interesting. There were many ideas for us all in them, yes, even beyond shoes. I couldn't write which was my favorite. I liked them all.

Have that wine, get the car in order and move on to a new day. xoxoxo

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, the frustration. I know it well. My husband was stopped last week. Nine miles over the speed limit. Horrors. It made for a bad day all round.

On another note, so happy to see white trousers again!

muummmmeeeeee...... said...

There's nothing like getting a ticket to ruin your day!

SPLENDEROSA said...

Tish, no pic of the flic?

Semi Expat said...

I too am sorry about your altercation with the police - I always get so nervous if I see any one being stopped and know it will happen to me too one day. But I do love your collection of photographs so thank you so much Tish! x

My Grama's Soul said...

Sorry for your confrontation.......but happy for your pics!!

Blessings,

Jo

Duchesse said...

Don't know if that's a skirt or pants in photo 3, the woman in the background, but I like it! The problem with a skinny pant(specially white) is that they get wrinkly at the crotch, which is not a very pleasing effect. Can't be helped. The woman in the background looks more at ease in her floatier style.

You won/t see white linen worn here this early but we are a good month behind in term of things blooming.

90 Euros, ouch!

materfamilias said...

What a great sampling of photos! So sorry about your fine -- I'll drink a glass of wine (or two) in sympathy . . .

M said...

Anon, your son is so clever. I wonder if he will be so witty when he actually needs a police officer.

Lily Lemontree said...

Sorry to hear about the 'flic' and the testy woman, just love your pictures!

Duchesse said...

Anon: A speed trap is set up to catch (and therefore deter) speeders. Do you feel drivers they have a 'right' to speed? The behaviour of you son suggests he prefers not to be curtailed by limits, and therefore resents those tasked with enforcing them.

As the heartbroken relative of a 17 year old killed by a 20 year old speeding driver (who was having fun in his mother's car), I hope you and your son will think about the consequences of permitting people to drive as fast as they wish, wherever they wish.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Tish
Love all these stylish women.. and don't they look happy with the sun shining...

Well my car is due for rego today!!! and I still have not paid it.. I am usually pendantic about this.. It is quite strict in Australia and due to the third party insurance involved quite unwise to drive the car until it is all sorted... so.. you have reminded me to get my act together... been a crazy week... take care and glad it was only a ticket.. xxx Julie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...