Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Strange Topiary and Other Delights








































You may recall two weekends ago My-Reason-For-Living-In-France and I went to the Foire aux Vins de la Gastronomie et du Jardin where one of us ate everything in sight and the other one sipped everything on offer.

In the jardin category, you can see the difference between people who train on bicycles and those who train bicycles. It seems one can make greenery do whatever one desires with some coaching and patience. 

Isn't this idea for outdoor dining divine? How chic to combine an old, twisted piece of wood with lamp-shaded lights dripping in crystal prisms.























Above is the largest bottle of Sauternes I have ever seen. (I hate Sauternes even though I've seen friends swoon and moan in pleasure when it accompanies fois gras.)























Cheese, cheese, cheese everywhere. It has been said there are 365 different types of frommage -- one for each day of the year -- while some argue it's closer to 400. All I can say is I've never encountered a French cheese I didn't like.























And the Armagnac. 

I told you about the reaction to one teeny sip from the 20-year-old sample bottle of Calvados which nearly sent me to the emergency room.  As a result of that experience I didn't dare move over to the Armagnac stand on the other side of the aisle for a taste test. Instead we just bought a 10-year-old bottle. 

10 comments:

Shelley said...

You're big on prunes, aren't you? Perhaps you would enjoy
http://www.lavieilleprune.com/
a place we found when we did a cycling holiday in France, near Souillac.

The light fixture is amazing, isn't it?

Deja Pseu said...

Oh, that chandelier is fantastic! I've never met a French cheese I didn't like either. ;-)

Marsi said...

That topiary is almost as amusing as your comment about it. You sound like you always have the most interesting weekends. I hope THIS weekend is just beyond!

xoxox

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Cheese could be the reason that I am not slim...and in France it's practically a religion! Do you have a favourite?
Enjoy your weekend.

Belle de Ville said...

French cheese, spirits, decorative arts...so much that I miss about France.

Jacqueline said...

Oh, I love the topiary bike, Tish.
When we watch the Tour de France, I love all of the sculptures and instillations that the houses and the villages have in their gardens.
Now, pass me that big bottle of Sauturnes and 400 pieces of cheese !! XXXX

BigLittleWolf said...

Armagnac? Moi non plus, merci. But a wonderful vintage port? Oh yes...

Love the topiary!

LiveLikeYou said...

The name and concept of your blog is divine.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hey Tish
That topiary bike is quite fantastic... may have to include it in my 'Le Tour' this year [with your permission of course].... well I don't really drink any alcohol these days.. I seem to react to all of them... would have to get stuck into the cheeses though.. Looks like you had a fabulous time... hope your weekend is just a great. xx Julie

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Tish, this brings back so many fond memories of my time in France and seeing how only the French can put so much passion and imagination in EVERYTHING! And that liquour experience you had.....oh dear! That is strong stuff...I love however, the pastis found in the south. MIAM!!! HAVE A FAB DAY OUT THERE!!!! Anita

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...