Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Edith & Moi, Playing In Our Closets













































Unless you yell: "STOP (!) ARRÊTE (!) Enough Already," Edith and I will continue to hunt and gather in our closets, reassembling what we find within, until the end of the month-ish. 

If you've had enough of our old clothes, albeit incredibly creatively put together. . . Let me know. To tell you the truth, we're finding things we didn't know we still owned, or forgot we once bought which makes this exercise exceedingly amusing for us, not to mention economical. And, as I believe I mentioned last week, I don't think I will buy another black jacket for the rest of my life. I've pretty much got everything covered, from vintage to NOW(!) Now, in the sense that what goes 'round always comes 'round. 

While we're in there, madly tossing and testing, we will seek out items that work through most of the year, i.e. fall, winter, spring, but probably not summer. 

Immediately after we emerge, we shall apply ourselves, with our usual passion, to finding warm weather wardrobe wonders. We will do this either virtually, i.e. scan the collections, magazines and window shop or perhaps actually buy a couple of items to make us look new and au courant, spot-on, with it -- you know, basically all the things that are truly important in this life.

If one cannot construct a fabulous façade, what's the point really, n'est-ce pas

Here then is what we dug out this week. May I say at this point, I am particularly enthralled with my turquoise/violet ensemble and though I have never worn these pieces like this, I think I've constructed a winner. (Isn't it lovely? I can be obnoxious and no one is editing me. . .)

Oh yes, before I forget: Ever since we started this new game and until we finish, I will always wear the same black pants and black pencil skirt. Meanwhile, Edith does her own thing. 

On top: Edith in her ummm, pumpkin-like Lacroix skirt which she said she has "never worn and forgot I owned, but I remember I paid practically nothing for it," with a shocking pink cashmere sweater and orange suede belt; moi in above mentioned turquoise and purple. The jacket is a heavy silk the top a light silk t-shirt, same pants, my coral necklaces and suede Chanel bag.











































Above: Edith in her super-skinny black jeans -- she exercises one-hour every morning before eating a banana and a couple of nuts and then sits down to start her painting interrupted only by hunger pangs which send her in search of an apple and a goat's milk yogurt (she avoids anything associated with cows) -- but I digress --with a long wool sweater and a large tissue paper weight wool shawl/scarf.

I'm wearing a charcoal gray zip-up jacket (I really, really like this jacket) from Lands' End, many, many years ago, over a light-weight gray cashmere turtleneck, my black and gray suede Chanel ballerinas and the rest you've seen more times than any of us can count.

(All drawings, as always, by Edith.)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LPC said...

The turquoise and lavender is SO fetching! And I love that you wear Land's End and Chanel together.

James said...

I think all of your readers will join me in yelling "don't stop!" You are a joy to follow.

Morgane said...

CONTINUE A JOUER DANS TES PLACARDS : it's so funny ! so creative and i enjoy your friend's drawing ( i'm actually drawing like a 6 years old so i'm very jealous)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

The purple and green ensemble is indeed an inspired one, but I adore the black! Perfection!

Deja Pseu said...

Please do continue this series; it's SO inspiring! I love the purple and turqoise combo too, will have to try that. I hope Edith finds an occasion to wear that pumpkin skirt. Something that fabulous needs to be shown off! Didn't Lands End used to make some great jackets though?

materfamilias said...

No chance of tiring of your closet explorations -- these are so inspiring, although my own wardrobe has far less to offer. . . still, it's a fun challenge and if it tides us all through 'til spring's really here, so much the better! Love those colour combinations, especially the turquoise and purple.

Jeanne said...

I love reading about and seeing your creations...more, more, more please!!
Jeanne :)

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

Your closets are like the universe, infinis. Love the color combinations especially with black. Love the high end/low end mix;
very creative and fun and ...French finalement. Tres bien , les filles!

BonjourRomance said...

Tish,
No you will not be hearing "stop" anytime soon. This is so much fun and we are learning something useful, yes please continue my dear.

BigLittleWolf said...

Love it all except... the poofy skirt effect. (How do you spell that word???)

Does any woman except Twiggy circa 1970 actually look good with that much "poof" around her hips and thighs? Not on my planet.

However, j'adore tout le reste ! And don't stop. We love your closets. (And there appear to be no Latvians living in them, or you'd be hard pressed to continue finding so many goodies.)

dancing doc said...

coucous,
it sounds like a wonderfully creative
endeavor! i adore the drawings! and thanks for your comment-

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
knitpurl said...

The turquoise/violet ensemble is very chic. It takes real fashion know-how to even think of putting them all together. I do not envy Edith her pouf skirt. But the skinny jeans and what she eats for 1/2 the day, well, now I am jealous and understand her svelte appearance. (Sigh)

There might be a "Dear Cherie" in who should and should not wear skinny jeans and their associates. I've even seen cute, young, model thin women in skin tight denim that looks UGLY. There is no polite word for this plague the fashion world has brought us once again (at least in my lifetime). xoxo

muummmmeeeeee...... said...

Thank you for sharing Edith's secret for fitting into super skinny jeans but can you just tell me - does she eat the banana and couple of nuts before the bacon sarnie or after?

Semi Expat said...

Very chic the both of you... love the colour combinations too - your turquise lavender one and Edith's pinky red and orange...wonderful.

Kim said...

I wholeheartedly agree with James...don't stop playing in your closets...you give us inspiration...now if I could look as svelte in my closeted fashions as these drawings...I would never have to shop Again! I soo very much enjoy this series!

EntertainingMom said...

Land's End and Chanel is like Pizza and Veuve... (Dom? Perrier Jouet?) A PERFECT combination!

Shelley said...

An idea for you: what if you and Edith put together a list of the items in your closet that make all the others work? I keep hearing that French women are good at capsule wardrobes, a concept which is about un-American as one can get. Just an idea. I'm not tired of watching you guys play dress up!

Marsi said...

Is Edith going to wear her pumpkin skirt ensemble out and about? That I would like to see!

I fully support your decision to be depicted in a black pencil skirt or black slacks. There's nothing better.

The turquoise, purple, and coral is a striking color combination. Is your coral necklace made of coral branches? I have three strands of graduated coral branches, Italian, harvested. I always feel vaguely guilty wearing it, afraid that someone from some ocean rescue fund is going to dump a bucket of sea water over my head.

I love the Edith features!

Marsi said...

P.S. What is Edith's daily form of exercise? An hour? Wow. I'm terribly pleased with myself when I manage 30 minutes at the gym ....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...