Saturday, March 13, 2010

Deux Copines













































"A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Too much time has passed, I think, without my telling you about my friendship with Edith. She was my first French copine. We will always be best friends. Our time together is fun, lol funny and ever supportive. 

As most of you know, every Wednesday her drawings illustrate the two of us in the "playing dress-up" series. She has never dabbled in fashion drawings before, but when I asked her if she would think about it, out came her watercolor paint box and the magic portraits we see every week came to life in less than 10 minutes.  

"Ca m'amuse beaucoup, beaucoup," she squealed in delight. And the rest is history.























What some of you know, others perhaps not, is that she is an accomplished naive painter. As a little weekend cadeau I thought I would show you three of her wedding portraits. They are often given to the bride and groom or members of the families as gifts. (She is working on one now for friends of ours.)

"A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him [her] I may think aloud." R.W.E.

Have a lovely weekend.

21 comments:

LPC said...

Oh gosh. Those are lovely. I adore Edith's work, as you know:).

C.J. said...

wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Shrinky said...

What a wonderfully talented friend you have - I imagine her gifts are hugely treasured.

BonjourRomance said...

Edith is such a talent. It is such a treasure to find a real friend,how lucky the two of you are.

Deja Pseu said...

Edith is very talented indeed. Her paintings are delightful!

James said...

I love the detail in her work. Such a talented and obliviously devoted friend you have.

BigLittleWolf said...

These are just lovely. It's a pleasure to see some of her other artworks.

As for Edith's illustrations that grace your blog, they add a je ne sais quoi that is elegant, capricious, and sparkling.

And she's funny, too? What could be better in a copine?

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

She is truly talented. What a wonderful, wonderful gift for a bride and groom. Does she do this professionally? She should.

And isn't it a fabulous thing to have artistic friends!?!

Tish Jett said...

Oh yes, Edith is a professional artist. She is sold in galleries and has had I don't know how many expositions in Europe, Japan and I don't know where else. I can't ask her, she's in Shanghai for the moment.

She has commissions all the time, that's why I'm so incredibly lucky to have her take the time every weekend to play with me.

Marsi said...

Fantastique!

xoxoxo

Lily Lemontree said...

Bravo Edith, these are simply beautiful!
We should all be so lucky to be blessed with a good friend like you have!

Clarity said...

Dear, I love these quotes. They have spoken volumes to me, especially today.

I think portraits as wedding gifts are quite touching. She is a talented lass, please tell her I said that.

Marieanne said...

What charming and beautiful paintings! Edith is very gifted.

Bonjour Madame said...

I still love her work so much.

Jacqueline said...

I love Edith's paintings, Tish.
They are so 'real' and have so much detail.They make such a wonderful wedding gift. .... and how lovely that such a good friend contributes to your blog. I really like that.
Have a great Sunday, Tish.... and don't play too hard !! XXXX

My Carolina Kitchen said...

What gorgeous paintings Tish. Thanks so much for sharing even more about Edith. What a talented lady and friend. Please tell her how much we enjoy her paintings.
Sam

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Tish
My goodness these painting just breathe happiness... what a wonderful way to capture that special moment... Edith is so talented... the paintings really have a lovely energy about them.... and how clever that she whips up those fashion plates for you in 10 mins.... my non-blog friends don't even look at my blog.. haha.. Have a great weekend Tish.. xx Julie

FIONA said...

Beautiful art, and a wonderful story of friendship.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Edith is extremely talented and to have such a friend is such a delight. I have to say that I have great friendships as well, but there is always one person with whom you have an extra special something with. BRAVO ma belle! Anita

knitpurl said...

Fabulous talent Edith has. Note to dear Cherie, applaud your courage to try a "ditsy flower print." Often fashion is trying and dismissing and you and YKW do it admirably for both our entertainment and education.

Your pearls in a movie? How cool.
xoxoxoxo, Carole

Metropolitan Mum said...

Mais qu'est-ce que vous avez de la chance! I miss nothing more than a good friend at the moment. I love being in England, but I haven't found a copine so far.
Here's cheers to both of you! xx Deborah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...