Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mercredi Pot-Pourri (!)























Eh, oui. We all know what that means: Mercredi Pot-Pourri, something went wrong in the best laid plans department.

Some of you charming readers have said you like days filled with this and that and whatever, well today is your day. We're going all over the place.

Oh yes, a petite explanation: Normally when things move along as hoped, this is the day Edith and I consult and concoct creations from our closets. It didn't happen this week, although it will next Wednesday. Scheduling conflicts and all that. . .













































If you haven't already seen the pictures of 52-years-old-in-April, French actress, singer, (nude dancer last year at the Crazy Horse) and wife of the very intellectual philosopher Bernard-Henri Lévy, Arielle Dombasle, on Jean-Paul Gaultier's haute couture runway, here you go. . . I wouldn't want you to miss out on this treat.



































































Look at these Sonia Rykiel numbers that cost nothing, in a special collection for H&M. I'd get in line if it weren't for all those horizontal stripes. Actually the sweaters are definitely doable, quite smart in fact, and those mico-minis (?) they could easily morph into tube tops. . .





































If you like your bijoux to be conversation worthy ice-breakers and you don't have the wherewithal or the family jewels to dazzle with something huge and real, you could always turn to "Miss Bibi" who can be relied upon to draw curious stares, if not necessarily awe and avarice. Note pasta earrings and robinet (faucet) brooch -- not your everyday embellishments, n'est-ce pas? 

She also makes a petit homme sitting on a ring. You'll never guess what he's wearing -- a marinière.




















And speaking of marinières -- for the 100th time -- isn't this cardigan from Sandro adorable? It gives you soooo many more options while staying on the major sailor t-shirt fashion message. What more could a girl want?























Everywhere I look over here we are being told to ease into spring with a mini flower printed something or other. My cupboards are bare. I'm not a petite flower kind of femme. However, and in my fashion book there is always a however, i.e. a compromise: I vote for a scarf. Now that, I have. If you're more girly, either pull something out of your closet or get a lead on the season and buy a blouse, maybe something in a Liberty print? 

And finally, so way off subject that I couldn't even imagine a transition, I've been longing to mention this for months and have never quite found a place to do so. 

It's about names, the names parents give their children in France. I've chosen at random from the birth, weddings and engagement pages of Le Figaro newspaper. This definitely expands possibilities for those searching for unusual monikers for their little bundles of joy. Philistine that I am, half the time I don't know whether someone has given birth to a girl or a boy.

Hippolyte
Automne (pretty, I think)
Octave
Senlis
Isaure
Enguerrand
Thais
Melchior
Isabeau
Oceane
Phanou
Helliette

14 comments:

JMW said...

Love the scarf - so pretty! The names are quite interesting. Isabeau, hmmmm.
Have a wonderful day!
Jen

Beadboard UpCountry said...

Yo know sometimes when I don't get my shipments the way I expect or f I sell down on something in the shop. I have to make something out of nothing!!!Well sometimes as in this case nothing turns out to be as good or better because you get the old creative juices running!!!!!Great post! And by the way Sonja Rykiels new linen lookd just like the apparel! Loved the pix we'll talk soon. It's been crazy......Maryanne xo

Morgane said...

I do love the sonia rickiel collection even if i get sick of to much lines and marinières ! But it's a great basic to have... I love the scarf too...
Those french names are definitly old fashion ones ( but the figaro is so conservative !) : i remember a parisian girl very bourgeoise which name was Quitterie ! hum not my tasse de thé ...
thanks for following my blog !

BigLittleWolf said...

I find the colors quite interesting. I'm not sure I love them - but I notice them! (The Rykiel in particular.)

Am always drawn to black and white - and the classic chic (and youthfulness) of stripes. That said, I need mine vertical!

Marsi said...

Great post; I loved everything. Are the French talking much about the fact that BHL is stepping out on his wife with Daphne Guinness?

I consider it tragic not to live near an H&M. I love everything in the photos you posted, esp. the pink sweater with the frill at the neckline. Pauvre moi!

Yes, that cardigan is darling. I want it.

Thanks for the scarf suggestion; I love those little wardrobe "cheap thrills" that give you a tiny update for the season.

Those names are interesting. Some I've heard of, but most I haven't. And I'm with you: I couldn't tell if they were feminine or masculine to save my life.

xoxox!

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

Letitia, so much fun! what you can do with a pot pourri...the names are hilarious! when you think that some people want to give their children names from the 17th century (French pseudo-aristocratic snobbism) I know quite a few but I guess chacun a son gout; we all belong to a tribe or another...Bravo! ENCORE! Letitia.

My Carolina Kitchen said...

Tish, that cardigan is adorable. All of Sonia Rykiel's collection is lovely. I saw many trunk shows of hers while I was at Saks Fifth Avenue. The French actress is gorgeous. I can't believe she's 52. She must have great genes.

I couldn't name a child Hippolyte without thinking of the gardener in Herman Wouk's novel "Don't Stop the Carnival." His name was Hippolyte and he went a little crazy and chased people with a machete.

A bientot,
Sam

CailinMarie said...

mmm... this is just so refreshingly un-suburban-williamsburg, not a khaki capri in site-sigh
small flowers. I am not sure that I can pull that off...

Queen "B" said...

Aloha, I totally enjoyed my visit,
sending you warm sunshine from across the sea
Brandi

Shelley said...

Isabeau is the name of the female lead in the movie Ladyhawke, played by Michelle Pfeiffer, also starring Rutger Hauer and Matthew Broderick. Full of mush and fantasy - one of my favourites!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Tish, I knew I could count on you this morning to bring some chic and flair into my life! 52 year olds? Yeah baby! That is me! In April, the old 52----getting wiser, older yes, but it is worth it when you have style!!!!

Bisous, Anita

ELS said...

Darling Tish, if I can't pop into a chic cafe and pick up the gossip with my espresso, this is a perfect second place. ADORE the stripy cardi, crave crave. And how droll are the tap earrings? And NO, BHL and Daphne?? Where have I BEEN????
ELS xx

materfamilias said...

Helliette? Hell, yeah!
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I love the look of the H&M Sonia Rykiel. Sadly, given the Olympic crowds in Vanc'r right now, the lines will be even longer than impossible!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Oh how I'd love a few of these items for myself and the little dolly for my daughter. Unfortunately *coughs* I am nowhere near an H&M. Plus, I just can't face queues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...