Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shopping Les Soldes with Edith









































We're back, we're back(!) 

Edith went off to her tiny chalet somewhere in France -- I can never remember the name of the place, all I know is it's not Gstaad (and yes, I know Gstaad is not in France) -- where she told me they trudged through gucky, mucky watered down snow and never unpacked their skis. 

Quelle chance, I stayed home and unpacked my closets, shelves, cupboards, drawers, desk, bookcases and suitcases. I ask you, which one of us had more fun? Precisely.

But never mind, we're together again and we've been shopping the markdown racks like little mad mavins. This is how we approach les soldes:

1.) Formerly waaaay too expensive items we long to own and would probably wear for the rest of our lives if only they weren't quite so pricey. Strategy: Grab 'em.

2.) An item or two that breaks us out of our style molds -- even if only slightly. Because we're taking a minor risk we want the price to be right. Strategy: Hesitate, don't be impulsive, decide to go for it.

3.) A sure keeper, something we have already spotted on the next season's runways and will constantly re-emerge over the years, i.e. -- and heaven knows I hate to say this: Animal prints. Strategy: Debatable, but probably not a bad idea.

4.) If we're lucky a classic replacement or back-up, i.e. black cashmere sweater, a jewel colored velvet jacket, flannel trousers, white blouses (eh, oui) and so forth. Strategy: A no-brainer. She who hesitates will never forgive herself. (OK, slight exaggeration.)

We will be shopping until the end of the month. We figure by the 31st we'll have our heads in dusty, battered bins labeled 60 and 75 percent off. And, honestly, you just never know what's at the bottom of the basket. . .

This is what we've bought so far:

Edith found this large hound's-tooth jacket she readily admits she never would have bought if it hadn't been on its second markdown.

The black wool dress frankly was a no-risk, "how could she get so lucky" find. (I unearthed something similar, but not as smart as hers, to show you next week.)







































The long purply/blue turtleneck is a stretch for me. Edith pushed me to buy it at half price. I'm wearing it here with my favorite, not much longer for this world, navy silk trousers. 

The black silk sari-inspired tunic is actually a present from Edith. I envision wearing it forever. It is soooo me and soooo black. I'm soooo happy. (Next week you'll see something I bought for Edith in a color she has never worn before. She claims to love it.)

18 comments:

Marsi said...

I love Edith's LBD. What an excellent find. The violet turtleneck is very chic and slenderizing, too, and I think you'll get a ton of mileage out of the Indian tunic. Good job, you two!

How long does it usually take for additional markdowns to be made by merchants?

I would love to be in France for les soldes someday. I've read about them forever, and it sounds like such an EVENT, you know? Almost like a national holiday ....

Hope you are well, your project is well.

xoxo

Deja Pseu said...

All of these are fabulous. I'm so envious of your tunic...

Someday, someday, there will be a January Paris trip pour moi.

Lorrie said...

It looks like you and Edith have found some great pieces and had a lot of fun in the hunt. The sari-inspired tunic is my favourite.

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

Eh bien, Mesdames, bon travail, bonnes trouvailles! I am certain you both look great in your new outfits. My favorites are the LBD and the long sweater. tres styles! and going aux soldes must be so much fun with a best friend. BRAVO you are so witty and such a great writer, Tish! and Edith really catches the feel of the clothes so well. I am impressed.

Marsi said...

Dear Cherie:

The mid-winter doldrums are here. What do you recommend as (1) an activity and (2) a cosmetic purchase to give the spirit a lift?

xoxo

JMW said...

Love your shopping strategy! Looks like you both found some wonderful pieces.

BonjourRomance said...

Tish,
Looks like the two of you havetaken the Paris Soldes by storm. The LBD and the silk tunic are my favorites.
It always makes you feel good when you leave a shop with a bag full of fabulous finds.
Waiting for the next installment...
Happy shopping!

Jacqueline said...

Hi Tish,
Well, you can never go wrong with a LBD can you? and you can never have too many either.
My stratergy is either, never go to the sales ( I usually end up buying stuff 'cos it's cheap but i don't want or need it) OR just buy black stuff.
It works for me !! XXXX

materfamilias said...

I love all those pieces -- lucky you two. I've always wished our trips to Paris would coincide with les soldes> and now I realize that my research leave which begins next January demands some research -- and after all, researching sales in Paris must have some relation to Canadian literature, n'est-ce pas?

My Carolina Kitchen said...

How I would love to go les soldes with you and Edith. It would be a trip of a lifetime to shop with chic French ladies.
Sam

Semi Expat said...

Love your strategy for the sales Tish... what fun. Edith's LBD is fabulous - wonder why it was in the Soldes... and your tunic is gorgeous. Happy Shopping.

Chic Provence, A Way of Life said...

You and Edith are having way too much fun et bonne chances!! the tunic is wonderful, and the lbd I covet!

thanks again

Kit

Nicki said...

I love the finds. I have to say the purple tunic is beautiful!

BigLittleWolf said...

Love love love the oh-so-confident dash of red with the black and white. Très Stendhal, le rouge et le noir. J'adore...

May I pop over and shop les soldes with you two?

Belle Vie said...

Bonjour Tish,
how I wish I was shopping in Paris too! I will have to live vicariously through you and Edith in the meantime.

Thank you for visiting my blog and your kind words!
xoxo, B

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

Clever strategy bears brilliant fruit or rather lovely timeless pieces.
Warm regards,
Simone

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BigLittleWolf said...

I was enjoying these fashions once again, and wondering if they would be welcome in the Man Cave. But then, I'm not sure that Frenchmen have a Man Cave. Do they? And if so, I'm thinking it is steeped in chic. . . Might you verify?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...