Thursday, December 3, 2009

It's Raining Chats & Chiens























In truth the French never use the cats and dogs expression, they say: "Il pleut des cordes." Cords of rain? Exactly. I checked with an expert. . .

All of this is to say because of the non-stop pluie I couldn't take any decent pictures on the street except for the shot of Babette braving the elements while adding the last holiday touches to her boutique. Thought she looked so sweet I wanted to share with you. 

Because I NEVER want to disappoint you, I've pulled together a little potpourri for your entertainment. Et Voila. . .
































































French Elle created a list of the 50 best-dressed women of 2009, on it are: Michelle Obama, Tilda Swinton, Penelope Cruz (I know Simone, enchantress and beautiful blogger at The Bottom of The Ironing Basket, will be jumping with joy), Sofia Coppola, Audrey Tautou, Marion Cotillard (see above, immersed in ruffles), Charlotte Gainsbourg, Rama Yada (a minister in the Sarkozy government and pictured above) Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, Letizia d'Espagne (see above), Angelina Jolie, Dita Von Teese (what!?), Beyoncé, Eva Mendes,Diane Kruger, Katie Holmes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Freida Pinto, Jennifer Aniston, Sarah Jessica Parker, Scarlett Johansson and others with whom I am either bored, don't agree or they are mere babies and they don't count.























Ines de la Fressange at 52 is a class apart. She is considered by one and all a fashion icon. (She's pictured here from the famous Elle photo shoot where she wore no makeup.)






















Under the "Kinda creepy, Kinda Funny, Probably Delicious" category is this trophy reindeer in chocolate from A la Mere de Famille chocolaterie.























Speaking of rain, how about these cuissardes from Bottes de Chameau (165Euros) in bright navy blue. All I can think is maybe not wet on the outside, but probably after an hour or so unpleasantly squishy, toasty on the inside. Also I see little possibility for knee-bending. It's tricky enough in leather, but rubber? 













And to round out this rainy day random rambling on a too funny for words note, a hilarious finger puppet parade of fashion designers. Surely there is someone on your gift list who would be thrilled to play with them at a mere 90 Euros. Can you imagine the things you could make them say to each other in a mini theatrical production? 

17 comments:

joelle.desparmet said...

You mispelled chien but you are forgiven because your blog is great. Une Française.

Jacqueline said...

I love your friend Babette's decorations outside her shop.Aren't they gorgeous.... and i want the blue ruffle dress and doesn't Ines look fantastic at 52.
I think that the finger puppets are brilliant and could make Christmas hilarious, especially when everyone has had a drink !!!! XXXX

Lorrie said...

I've long thought that the French expression "Il pleut des cordes" is much more apt than cats and dogs falling from the sky. Heavy rain does look like long strings of water to me.
Ines looks fantastic - and I'm with Jacqueline on wanting the blue ruffle dress, although I don't know where I'd wear it!

Lorrie

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Joelle, merci, merci. That's an error I make all the time. I truly appreciate it when someone corrects my pitiful French. It is now spelled correctly. Merci for the compliment, de toute façon.

Yes, Jacqueline, can you imagine wearing the ruffled dress, downing a few glasses of Champagne and breaking out the finger puppets? It could become a holiday tradition. (And look, she's wearing your hat!)

I know, Lorrie, what a dress, but it also implies "what a lifestyle" which unfortunately leave me out.

Deja Pseu said...

Babette really has her look down. Even in the rain.

Beyonce??? on that list? I'm filing that one under "things that make you go Hmmmmm...." She may be many things, but "dressed" is not always one of them.

Ines, on the other hand...le sigh.

The finger puppets are too funny.

Marsi said...

Babette does look sweet, and her holiday decorations are so chic and pretty.

Ines is a goddess.

Though I have to say, the whole "sans fards" thing is a little overrated, in my opinion. I mean, who DOESN'T look better in B&W? If one is ruddy or has sunspots or whatever, it doesn't show. And dark circles around the eyes look like makeup in B&W.

But I digress. Ines is fabulousness in any shade or tint.

I didn't realize it till now, but I've rather missed your posts that have that improvisational, "this, that, and the other" vibe. More, please!

Those finger puppets are insane! I love them. I suppose if one were proficient enough, one could knit them from the pictures. I myself do not like knitting gloves. I one knit one mitten (just one!) and was so miserable working on that tiny little thumb sleeve. It's such fiddly work, and I don't have the patience for it. Gloves or finger puppets would push me right over the Cliffs of Insanity(TM).

How is your knitting coming along, Tish? I've been terribly busy with a work project these last few weeks and haven't knitted a stitch, but think I'll have some time this weekend. That makes me happy!

xoxox

50sgal said...

I adore that ruffled dress, am skeptical of a few of those on 'the list' am confused by those impractical wellies and am enamored of the finger puppets. Of course, here in 1955, I would have but one cherised finger puppet, that would of course be my beloved Dior! The thought of him as I sewed the five yards of fabric for the skirt of my latest dress. Lovely blog.

BonjourRomance said...

Yes what is up with all the rain we've been having lately - luckily all the lights make it a little more bearable. Babette's store decorations are beautiful.

I've always thought Rama Yada always looks so put together, but I agree, some on the list are rather questionable?! Perhaps a little payola involved? Great post!

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

D.P., I know, I know, but the finger puppets make up for everything else, don't you think?

Marsi, I had so much fun today. I think I'll go back to some of these all-over-the-place posts. There is so much weirdness out there it's a shame not to share. Marsi, we're not talking about my knitting project until I figure out how many holes one can have in a scarf and try and convince the receiver that I planned it that way. . . Wouldn't it be hilarious to make your own?

Dear 50s Gal, It is so nice to see you. I know, I agree with you, but in the fun-filled world of fashion there is no telling what's going to be foisted upon us. Yes, Ines always looks fabulous and I think we can all agree on the ruffle dress.

Bonjour, Bonjour Romance, My dear, the fashion biz is just one big payola party, that why we must sift through the craziness and find our hearts' delight. Not always easy I grant you.

Chemin des Muguets said...

Tish,

This post was such fun.

Why not French poodles falling from the sky?

I agree, that Ines is a class act!

Got to hand it to you - The finger puppets are a hoot.

Merci,

Marjorie

knitpurl said...

Doesn't it read "Rubbish" finger puppets? So very funny. Don't know about knitting one, but it does spark one's imagination, like doing one's family for Christmas. The possibilities are endless and as J. wrote above, after a drink or two, hilarious.

Agree this post was so much fun. Your this and that ramblings need resurrection, Tish. (Until the holidays are over this could be a stress reliever.) Babette looked her usual put together self.

xo on a very minor winter wonderland night

BigLittleWolf said...

Lovely images. Never disappointed.

Anoninoz said...

Adore Babette's tasteful decorations outside the shop - just lovely... And those finger puppets - too funny!

aaonce said...

Love the standing features, but these posts are always comical. Jennifer Aniston, eh? Okay (eye rolls). I always wonder if it should count if the person has a stylist. Then again, this is the "best dressed list" and not a list judging those with great style.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

By the sounds of things you should be on this list as well!

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog- I appreciate them more than you know. All is better now :) xo

Solange said...

Love your post. I need your help. I am puting the finishing touch to a press release for Expat Women. would love a quote from you. can you contact me : pebblesoup at gmail.com
many thanks

Cathi said...

Love Babette's outdoor decorations and Ines is absolutely gorgeous! thanks for all the lovely photos! xxoo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...