Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year's Eve: All Dressed Up With Someplace to Go. . .












































It is my great good fortune to have friends who throw dinner parties with dress codes: You get all gussied up or forget about it. Let's face it, how many opportunities in our "let it all hang-out" (literally) sartorial sloppiness do we have to strut our stylish selves? 

Right, not enough.

New Year's Eve is normally the great exception, the day itself commands a grand vestiary performance. Over the years My-Reason-for-Living-In-France and I have been to some sparkling events. At one high atop a gorgeous apartment building on the Rue de Rivoli we stood on a balcony and watched the fireworks in the distance while revelers below waved up at us; on another occasion we were invited to a frightfully chic dinner party in an apartment overlooking the Eiffel Tower. It was 1999, we were toasting in the new century, from that balcony we watched the Eiffel Tower burst into twinkling brilliance at midnight. It was magic. 

(On that same evening a woman walked out on the terrace with my Reason-for-Living-in-France and said: "Hello, my name is Caroline, would you like to kiss me now?" He claims he kissed her on each cheek and led her back to her husband so she wouldn't fall overboard.)

Other years it has been the two of us in front of the fire with dogs and champagne. Those were lovely evenings as well. This year it's a dinner party on a horse farm in the country.












































Edith and I, in preparation for the transition into a new decade -- can you believe it (?) -- went into dress rehearsal mode, hit our placards and came up with two possibilities. Neither one of us had any intention of buying something new for this one-off annual event. See what you think.

From the top: My Chanel vanilla silk crepe skirt you've seen more times than we can count with my 20-year-old black cashmere Valentino cardigan -- and my gold leather and black satin Chanel shoes, pearl teardrop earrings and Cartier bracelet.  

Edith is wearing a black satin shift dress she cut off and transformed into a tunic over tobacco- colored raw silk straight trousers she had made in India. She then added a cluster of brooches, her bracelets and black velvet ballerinas with pom-poms which she says signal, "I'm ready to dance, dance, dance."

Below: I'm wearing a Louis Féraud ensemble. The skirt is a sharp, knife-pleated chiffon and the unspeakably beautiful blouse is in chiffon with an underlining of nude silk. I've worn them separately much more than together. The blouse goes with everything. Then I added a gold and satin cord and my Chanel shoes again. On top of the bow of the blouse I pinned a multi-colored faux gem Chanel brooch, a gift from you-know-who.

Edith donned her large, "old," black crepe evening trousers, a black and white striped satin shirt, and a soft suede belt on which she transferred her brooches. Again, note ballerinas. 

Now that we're dressed, tomorrow we'll dress the table. . .

17 comments:

LPC said...

Somehow I'm thinking this is the year of the belt...

BonjourRomance said...

Tish, how lucky to be in the country for New Year's. Your clothes choices are just perfect as usual. Enjoy ringing in a fabulous 2010 with Your-Reason-for-being- in -France!

Deja Pseu said...

Gorgeous ensembles! I think I need a long skirt or some wide-leg trousers...

Normally we'd be spending a quiet evening at home, just the two of us, but this year we're hosting a few of the immediate family to toast BIL's wedding-at-sea a couple of months ago. You'd better believe I'm going to dress up a bit!

Lorrie said...

Gorgeous outfits! You're sure to feel wonderful at the party!

Lorrie

aaonce said...

Very nice Tish, you will without a doubt look incredible. Edith is just lucky that she lives so far away...I am willing to arm wrestle her for rights to that second outfit. Foolishly, I discarded a similar looking CK silk striped blouse and I have regreted my actions ever since. Enjoy your party, may it be everything you hope it will be

James said...

Your tale of New Years 1999 made even a gnarly old man like me sigh.
Your reason for living in France is a true gentleman, but I guess you already knew that. I hope you enjoy your party in the country. I know you will look stunning!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Classic, chic and elegant, you will be dazzling. Chanel, champagne...it all sounds so lovely...and so French!
Happy New Year!

Kanye Spoof said...

Fashion-Conscious Video with Christmas Spirit

Hi!

I thought that you and the followers of your blog and twitter might find this video interesting!

http://bit.ly/7DxnHm

My actress in "Paper Birds" is wearing a vintage jacket from Paris, the skirt used to be a long vintage skirt from a flea market in Los Angeles but was cut to make it mini, the yellow tights were from a department store in Los Angeles, the shoes are from Paris.

The wardrobe was meant to reflect her whimsical and maybe even mythical personality and create a stark contrast with her environment.

The theme of the video is about the inspiration that can be found even in ordinary circumstances and that in giving back / sharing to the world - magic is created.  A theme that is appropriate for the holiday season!

Thanks and Happy New Year,
David

Rita said...

You have such an eye and talent for design, and always manage to put together such sophisticated, chic ensembles. Enjoy your special evening...it sounds like one to remember. Happy New Year!

Chic Provence, A Way of Life said...

So very chi-chi! You will look elegant and festive for the Reveillon! Have a fabulous time!

Kit

BigLittleWolf said...

These are all just lovely. I adore the touch of red with the black and white. And the expression "gussied up" alone made this visit worthwhile...

But what do you and Edith recommend for mini-femmes who look silly in long dresses or wide legged pants? A un mètre 50, ce n'est pas évident...

Nelza Lau said...

Dear Tish,
Enjoy your Reveillon with your Your reason-for-living-in-France
Happy New Year!
Nelza (from Brazil)

knitpurl said...

So festive, I like all 4 ensembles, but your Louis Feraud is my favorite. The New Year is almost here, yea -- onward and forward to lots greater things for all.
xo

Semi Expat said...

Oooh, well all the outfits are so gorgeous - wonder what you will decide upon Tish.. I would go for your first one I think with your Chanel skirt and the black top which looks elegant as well as cosy (in case of brrrr - ness!!) Have a happy evening whatever you dress in!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Happy New Year Tish! Love these ideas... I will be taking a break from the blogs while on holiday but look forward to catching up on reading when I return! xo

Belle de Ville said...

What lovely outfits, all of them.
I do love parties where dressing up means more than putting on your better jeans and cashmere sweater.
Sadly my Reason For Living In France ended up being my Reason For Moving Back To California, so no more New Year's Eve parties in the French horse country for me!

My Carolina Kitchen said...

Very chic and classy outfits as usual. Wishing you a happy and healthy new year.
Sam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...