Monday, November 30, 2009

TOP SEVEN: It's All About Moi. . .(Again)










The adorable Kristi at La Bella Figura gave me this award. The honor is wonderful, but perhaps I am touched most of all by the random act of kindness, appreciation and recognition from a friend I have never met.

I am deeply grateful. The rules are a little complicated. I am to thank Kristi, which I do profusely (and so will you if you visit her blog) and pass this gift along to seven other bloggers I admire. Before doing the latter I am to tell you seven things you do not know about me. 

Here follows then, seven things people who know me well probably don't know:

1.) When I was a senior in high school I was voted Homecoming Queen. (Don't get excited, this is a stranger than fiction story.)

First let me explain the school: It was a Catholic girls "academy," there were maybe 300 hundred or so girls in the entire building. My class numbered about 27. We had no connection whatsoever with a boys' school. I did not know any boys -- I was a late bloomer -- and I didn't know I was running for Homecoming Queen or anything else for that matter. It was a complete and horrifying surprise.

The nuns were frantic and set out to find a date for me, which they finally did. The poor boy who picked me up, corsage in hand, was as miserable as I was.  The two of us spent the worst night of our lives well-chaperoned by parents and nuns. Six months later he joined the seminary.

2.) I loved my ex-mother-in-law almost as much as my own mother.

3.) One early evening entering our apartment building in Detroit, I saw the lobby was filled with police and hysterical residents. No one was allowed to go near the elevators. Minutes later two bodies were wheeled out into the night. We were told later there had been a double murder over a drug deal gone bad. The apartment of the victims, a man and a woman, was two floors up, exactly over ours. All I wanted to do was get out of town.

4.) I knew how to make a dry martini when I was eight-years-old. 

5.) Jack Nicholson invited me to dinner.

6.) Sean Connery asked me in the middle of an interview why I wasn't home where I belonged instead of out working. Michael Caine told him to calm down and stop being rude.

7.) One of the greatest bosses I've ever had, and now a long-lost friend, Kurt Leudke,*gave me this advice when he asked me to write a gossipy/social/fashiony column for the "Detroit Free Press": "Write it exactly the way you talk and don't forget, if you say it; it's true, you're the expert."

He also said: "Remember -- good or bad -- if they're talking about you; you're interesting." This had nothing to do with me. It was merely an observation on the vagaries of life discussed at length over cocktails.

Now for part two of the award deal: Giving back. (I hope I'll have an opportunity to give more, I'm just playing by the rules here.)


At the same time I would like to give my amazing honor from last week, the Sugar Doll Award













from Els at Mon Avis, Mes Amis to the brilliant writer, Big Little Wolf at Daily Plate of Crazy

(**Kurt Leudke was nominated for an Academy Award for his original screen play "Absence of Malice" and won the Oscar for "Out of Africa".)

18 comments:

Lily Lemontree said...

Congratulations on the well-deserved awards! I came across your blog last week while visiting 'Man of the 50s' and absolutely fell in love with it, couldn't get enough! Once again, thank you very much for the lovely comments you left on my blog, have a great week.

Warm Regards,
Anastasia

Simone said...

Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine, murders, dry martinis....surely the best List of 7 Things ever??!! Wow!

Well done on your awards :)

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Congratulations! And thank you so much- I am honored!

Your list, by the way, is very intriguing and mysterious- I like how you didn't provide too much information about each event, making me desperately want to know more! xo

Anonymous said...

Thank you Anastasia, I'm so pleased we've found each other. Your blog is terrific.

And, of course, Simone -- well you know. I can't tell you enough.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

I jumped the gun AGAIN. I'm anonymous of course.

Such a twit.

Deja Pseu said...

Congratulations on your awards!

Interesting life you've had so far...

So Sean Connery really IS as big a chauvanist ass as he's reputed to be!

Marsi said...

Tish, I'm positive your homecoming date was not so traumatized by the experience that he joined seminary. Positive. I once dated a fellow who found Jesus right after he dumped me, then he lost his two front teeth to gum disease (yuck), then had his false teeth stolen out of his luggage while at the airport (why weren't they in his mouth, I wonder?), never got them replaced, and then ran for mayor this year with no front teeth! I'm so grateful he dumped me when he did.

You've led such an interesting life so far, dear. Sean Connery really is a swine, isn't he? I agree with the DC: you give little tidbits that hint, hint, hint, and leaves us wanting more. Love that about you.

Kristi said...

Let me chime in with Marsi and DC -- - I LOVE how you fed us little tidbits but still preserved your mystique! It was the perfect balance. Great list! Thanks for sharing.

BigLittleWolf said...

Mince... Now you went and made me cry. As if I weren't teary enough these days, over teens, technology, and life's tiny trials & tribulations.

Merci, Tish. Tu me fais trop d'honneur.

And I laughed so loud (very unFrench) as I read your list!

BLW

knitpurl said...

Congratulations on the two honors, and your list was intriguing and funny (as were some of the responses).

Une Femme Curieuse said...

So glad to hear Michael Caine chided Sean Connery for being boorish. What is it that makes some men feel so intimidated by smart, ambitious women who make perfect dry martinis?

Congratulations and what a lovely list! We should all hope to have similarly colorful ones.

Jacqueline said...

Well done on your awards, Tish. Well deserved....and a great 7 things about me list. I loved reading it. XXXX

Dedene said...

Your 7 stories deserve more explanation! I am very curious now.
Congrats on your awards!

BonjourRomance said...

Congratulations on the awards! Your list was fabulous. Thank you so much for stopping by and following my blog. I agree completely, it is so interesting how people think of our life 'over here'. My story is similar to yours - I found love here and had no other choice but to stay for love! Its wonderful! I'll be following along and will be back soon.

Shelley said...

The men you've met?! They aren't just the pretty faces are they? I can only say, WOW.

Now, my life is certainly bigger than it would have been had I stayed in Oklahoma City all my life, but yours sounds huge! (IE full of amazing experiences)

Can we trade for a while? Please?

Shelley said...

Oh, and I needed more blogs to be absorbed in...

Dorinda said...

I love the happiness that pours through your blog - yours has become one of my favorites. I, too, had the distinct good fortune to know Kurt Luedtke when he worked for the Miami Herald - just before he married and moved to Detroit, where I understand he was an investigative reporter for many years. His advice to you was sound. And his screenplay of "Out of Africa" was brilliant. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

prashant said...

Man of the 50s' and absolutely fell in love with it,

Work From Home India

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...