Thursday, November 19, 2009

Country Living: Out & About




















































































































































No big city visits this week so we're out in the country again.  I'm beginning to think this on-the-street endeavor is turning into a combination of something unexpected. (That's sort of an overriding theme in my life, but never mind.)

Since I continue to re-photograph the same women -- with a few exceptions thrown in, two this week you'll note -- I realize we're seeing their personal style on a day-to-day basis. They are wearing different pieces and outfits, but their style never wavers. Even when their look is flowy, it's never overwhelming. They're not trying to hid in masses of fabric or camouflage their bodies beneath layers of black. When they do wear black, and heaven knows it's one of their favorites on the "color" wheel, it usually caresses their form and is not worn as a shield against their bodies and the world.

French women of all shapes love their neutrals. In a conversation with Babette recently she told me her biggest challenge when buying for her boutiques is finding neutrals with details and embellishments that set them apart from what women already own.

I've also noticed this week I have surpassed myself in managing to pull together a collection of shockingly out-of-focus pictures. I'm thinking maybe I should photograph moi meme. This unfocused business is extremely kind and cheaper than surgery. Maybe photograph myself by candlelight, no flash, standing on the other side of the room, dressed in black (obviously). I'm beginning to really like this idea.

13 comments:

aaonce said...

Tish-I just love your blog. You know the secret to keeping us wanting more. I love seeing the same women weekly--it has been more educational (about understanding the finer points on French women's style) than any other source I have ever come across before. The variety of subjects (and the ability to witness each woman's resoluteness to their individual style) has helped me to really understand how someone can find their style early on, and never diviate from it as they continue to age. Stop apologizing for imperfection, you aren't expected to take photographs like Ansel Adams--you are only expected talk to us (conspiratorially ) like Tish Jett.

Marsi said...

That is absolutely IT:

If you wear neutrals, the garments MUST have beautiful little details that save them from being monastic or boring.

I learned that from you a few months ago, Tish, and it has made ALL the difference.

So nice to see a brunette! It must be true about French women going blonder as they leave their youth.

Jeanne said...

Tish, It looks like it's getting colder for you. Thank you for the pictures of some of your friends with their bags. They seem more streamlined then over here and neutral. Love the light orange cowl neck under the dress and the
corset belt. I agree with aaonce and love the finer points on French women's style and thinking.

BigLittleWolf said...

Understatement. Even when lavish and luxurious, French women know the fine art of understatement.

They also provide hanging racks in boutiques suitable for shoppers of the petite persuasion. What's not to love about a country like that, n'est-ce pas?

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I love the third lady down- her belt is so equestrian chic!

metscan said...

I like the nonchalance outfits these ladies have. And yet, everything is well thought through. It looks so easy. Thank you for your pictures!

Anoninoz said...

I too think its great to see your 'models' on a weekly basis - and they always looked so pulled together and at the same time relaxed and confident in their choices.....
And I am sure you are JUST as elegant too - come on Tish be brave (!) - I for one would love to see your grey flannel trousers (preferably with you in them!)

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

You have me re-thinking many of my choices............Maybe I will switch to charcoal gray instead of so much black. Not a very big step but I am learning along with you.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

nevin said...

I love your blog..

Photograph yourself by candlelight!! And dressed in black..

Go for it.. Already look good!

Marieanne said...

I love seeing the same ladies every week! In particular, I enjoy the woman who's wearing the cowl neck. She always looks amazing and sexy in a very understated and womanly way. She's just great.

Deja Pseu said...

I'm with aaonce; I love seeing the same women from week to week and how they work their wardrobes. I'm really starting to see the consistencies in their individual style, how they play with proportions and cuts.

I see the rolled hems on pants are not just a Parisian thing...

Marilyn said...

Tish
Love the photos. It's so good seeing 'ordinary' women looking so stylish. Keep giving us more of the same, please.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...