Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Virtual Shopping: My Way, Her Way
































































We need to talk. Or, more accurately: I need to explain. Never varying from my black palette you will note I chose from Armani's fall/winter ready-to wear collection a snappy tweed jacket   for Edith and me -- more on that in a second. 

Edith meanwhile, noting we're running out of black paint (and perhaps our beloved followers are sick, sick, sick of noir), suggested I might want to add some pop of color to the black on black on black theme. I relented, after all I don't know how to draw and compromise can be in one's best interest under such circumstances. Thus, for our virtual shopping expedition* this week I chose Michel Klein's knock-out shocking pink coat. Honestly, I would love to own it.

Now as for the Armani jacket, don't misunderstand, I think it's perfect for Edith, but no sooner did I say to her, "How about that one for us?" She started drawing. It was at that very instant I realized I was about to make a HUGE fashion error. (Give me a little credit for seeing and admitting I saw it.) So there she is merrily sketching away and I'm thinking: "Here we go, my reputation is on the line again, I cannot wear that jacket. It hits my you-know-what exactly you-know-where; furthermore I don't really like three-quarter sleeves.  I've always been extremely tall and three-quarter sleeves make me feel as if I've outgrown something and my mother wants to get one more year out of it. I'm always tugging to pull them down and I find any fussing with one's clothes to be most unattractive. But I digress. . .

"Edith," said I, "We must take my virtual jacket to a virtual couturier who will lengthen the arms and add some "material" to hide the bits I always keep undercover." 

As a result of my "visit" to the virtual couturier my virtual purchase looks quite different from Edith's.  

































































*The virtual shopping game consists of my choosing (virtually, you know, not really) two pieces from the season's ready-to-wear collections which Edith and I then take back to our own closets to mix with pieces we already own. This week I mixed my Michel Klein with my gray cashmere turtleneck, gray flannel trousers and long black leather gloves. Edith is wearing her new belt (see yesterday's post), new boots, a pleated black wool crepe skirt and a fine silk knit T-shirt plus similar gloves.

For the Armani ensemble she's wearing the same tee, her favorite red wool skirt and the same boots. I'm -- surprise, surprise -- wearing my black cashmere turtleneck and black flannel trousers.

13 comments:

Anoninoz said...

Yes, and VERY lovely your black cashmere turtle neck and black flannel trousers look may I say, Tish.. especially enchanced by the customised jacket... Great post!!

Lorrie said...

As someone with a mostly black wardrobe I love those jackets! Love them! The shape, the way you and Edith adapt them (even virtually) to your own style.

Lorrie

Deja Pseu said...

Oh la la, that pink number is fabulous and totally covet-worthy! Yummy!

And I love that Armani jacket *both* ways. How very clever! This virtual shopping thing could catch on...

The Daily Connoisseur said...

It is so important to know what works and doesn't work for your body type- fit is everything! Am loving these stylish posts...

Tee said...

Ok, I check in every day trying to find a post where it makes sense to ask this, but it never seems to be the right time. So if it's alright, I'd like to change the subject. I love the gray suede flat boots on Babette (I think?) from a few weeks ago, but can't find anything with a rounded toe like those. All the ones I see have too much point in the toe and look like elf boots. Any suggestions?

Bonjour Madame said...

The pink coat is very dramatic and chic. I like it a lot. All of the drawings this week show such good ways to wear this. I like what you've come up with.

Rita said...

I always get excited when you give those little fashion tips for my signature 'black' wardrobe.

ELS said...

Fabulous! Am properly inspired to get all the winter jackets out of the attic this weekend and stop dotting about. Grey cashmere turtle - my kids think it's part of my winter skin...

I just LOVE this blog - it's like a coffee-fuelled gossip with your impeccably turned out buddy.
Ex

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Anoninoz, Thank you. I LOVE my black on black on black and you will probably be seeing more of it. (Edith is buying new water color paints this week. I told her to only buy black.)

Yes, Lorrie, Don't we all just love it. Let me just add so do French women.

D.P.: Isn't the coat to-die-for? Even moi who is a coloraphobe would wear it. (I LOVE to make up words.)

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Dear Tee,

I'll get the evil twin, Cherie on this right away.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Rita, I KNEW you were a girl after my own heart when I first saw you in your black turtleneck sweater.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Els,

I am soooo glad we found each other. It lifts my spirits to read such a lovely compliment.

Marsi said...

The Armani jacket is sublime. I would be so happy to find that piece in my closet. (It would take a miracle.) Fun twist on the game: introducing the idea of alterations! And why not? If you were actually buying these pieces, alterations would be a given.

Love your black-on-black outfit. How is it even possible not to love black??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...