Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hearth & Home


















Prepare yourself for a "best laid plans" gone completely awry kind of day. 

Theoretically Saturdays are all about decoration; that's what's on the agenda. As we all know only too well, sometimes life interferes with our best intentions. 

Since I am often wont to wander off subject, that's what's on the program for today.

I had a couple of projects in the developing stages, but they won't be ready for public viewing until the same time next week due to unexpected events.

Here's what's on offer today: A few every day details that make the quality of life in France so extraordinary.

Last night one of our dogs was frighteningly sick. Of course it all started at 9 p.m. on a Friday. While I tended to her, my husband called our vet who told us what to do until he arrived.

Note last few words of the sentence, "until he arrived." He did and all is well. Not all veterinarians make house calls, but ours does unfailingly, day or night.

These are some of the people who come to our house and always make us feel safe and cared for:

1.) Our doctor.

2.) Our medical pedicure person.

3.) Nurses to change bandages, give shots, vaccines, etc.

4.) Ambulances -- instantly -- in the middle of the night when one is most frightened.

On the more frivolous side:

1.) Dog groomer and nail cutter.

2.) Coiffeuse (She arrives equipped with the thingie that attaches to the bathroom basin just like in the salon and no she is not in business for the two ends of the beauty spectrum -- the old and ill or the rich and overbooked. Her prices are moderate.)

3.) Piano teachers for adults.

Perhaps other countries have some of these luxuries, but if so I am not aware of any that have all of the above. I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong. Can't wait.

The picture above, so this discourse isn't one long, gray block of type, is of the sheep, goats and chickens grazing and lazing in front of our insurance company's front door. 

Hope you have a wonderful weekend. A demain with the weekly line-up.

14 comments:

Bonjour Madame said...

It all sounds lovely. I think I'm such a fan of France because they protect this way of life and keep it up. It's one of the only places I know that is not constantly moving toward a more efficient / hurry up kind of lifestyle just because it's what everyone else is doing. There is a certain respect for the pleasures received from making an extra effort that is so true and worthwhile. Thank you for sharing this.

Jacqueline said...

Fabulous fields and sheep and what a great vet....very obliging.
Not sure how many of those facilities we have in England as, some of them I don't need, but I love my country too, so I'm sure we can accomodate the majority !!!! XXXX

metscan said...

Amazing! No, my country can´t compete with all of those services you get. We have had the same vet ( one for the horses and another for the dogs ) for many years, but business hours only. I only hope that the ambulance, if needed, comes quickly. I might be able to get a friend to trim our dog. Our blacksmith for shoeing the horses comes when scheduled. Luckily, although living on the countryside, all possible services are only at a 30 km distance.

Dedene said...

It's wonderful to hear that your part of France has responsive and responsible people around you.
The French health care system and the workers are the best anywhere in the world.
And, the vets are super!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I hope your dog feels better! That would be amazing to have the hairdresser make house calls... I would love that- manicures and pedicures too- that would be amazing!

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

I love your country too, Jackie.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Dear Metscan,

As I told you once before I love your horse. I keep checking, but you haven't started yet, am I right?

One thing I did discover though, you're another Taurus.

I'm in love with our vet.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Stephanie,

I'm on my way over for a visit so I can tell you how much I love your entertainment series.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Dedene,

And yours doesn't?

I will be visiting you shortly. I want to hear more about your students.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Dear Connoisseur,

Thank you she is much better. There was a lot of blood and a lot of panic on my side, but she's a real trooper and I held her paw for hours.

metscan said...

You are referring to a blog? No, unfortunately not yet. I would like to, but English is not my mother tongue and I´m afraid that I could not express myself the way I´d want to. Still gathering my courage..

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Yes, Metscan, I was talking about your potential blog. And honestly I think the interaction of women from all over the world is what makes the whole experience so exciting and fulfilling.

Your English is excellent. Why don't you start with a little dabble -- just get your toes wet -- and see how it goes. I'm sure many of us would like to hear what you have to say about life from your part of the world and in your world.

Just the fact you have horses and dogs and live out in the country is enough to make me want to read more about your life and I'm sure I'm not alone.

When you decide, please let us know. In the meantime thank you for your visits.

Best regards,
Tish

Marsi said...

What a fabulous picture. Someday, I will email you a photo of the parking lot across from MY insurance agent's office.

LOL.

So glad all is once again well on the domestic front for you.

Beadboard UpCountry said...

Hi Tish!
Thanks for such kind words on my blog. With the shop swinging into pre xmas mode my time catching up and exploring is getting minimized.
I am delighted to have discovered yours and look forward to delving deeper.:)By the way that picture looks like the front of our insurance co. The Farm Bureau!!!!I'm signing on as a follower!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...