Thursday, September 3, 2009

Surprise(!) Rants, Raves & Ramblings
























I'm deep breathing and "ohm-ing"  as I gear up for my final rant accompanied by the major decision I've made that will save me from this uncomfortable position in the future.

"Femmes" magazine, you know the one with the mission statement: "For the active, vibrant, elegant woman of 40 and over who is now on the cusp of a new, thrilling life full of excitement and possibilities (?) -- yada, yada." Once again for at least the fourth time -- and the magazine just celebrated its first birthday -- the editor, who is definitely of a certain age, has decided in her infinite wisdom to put another woman well under 40, in this case 32-year-old actress Virginie Ledoyen, on the cover.

Safely undercover, inside the pages of the magazine are articles with heavily re-touched photos
of interesting women who reflect the mission statement, while clothes we of a certain age are supposed to wear appear to be modeled by teenagers.

You will no doubt be pleased by my consequential decision: I am never, never, never buying this magazine again -- ever. Why should I plunk down 3.90Euros for a broken promise? I'm finished, it's over. I trusted too much, too long. I can't do it anymore.

Whew, I feel so much better now.


















































Just to make you swoon. . . Christian Louboutin of the red-soled shoes has collaborated with Ladurée to make macarons echoing the theme of his shoes. The packaging is too divine and the macarons, 18 to a box for 35.80 Euros, are filled with a deliciously sophisticated melange of dates and figs.  (They will be available September 11, FYI.)





















Le Buzz, as the French say, is all about moccasins this fall and by some quirk of fate my all time favorites, black patent leather, are the big news. They are the single best choice because they are seasonless, snappy, stylish and always in.

Some are saying -- could it be true (?) -- they are the season's new ballerinas. Not to worry, Repetto, the first and last word in that domain, has introduced a stunning pair, rimmed, you'll notice with grosgrain ribbon. (175 Euros. I hate to tell you this, but they're called the "Jackson" moccasin. Forget I mentioned it.)























Perhaps you recall the post from last week where I had a little swoon myself over the Pierrot ruffs at the neck of many blouses in the fall/winter collections, including the one from Anne Fontaine (150 Euros) which is detachable allowing you to wear it whenever, wherever, however. At the same time I used, as I often do, Karl Lagerfeld's magnificent collection as a reference for the flattering ruffled neck treatment. 

Two days ago I discovered the price of one of his beauties: 4690 Euros. This is ready-to-wear ladies, not haute couture.  And it's sleeveless(!) In its defense: blouse and collar in mousseline de soie irisé, ribbon in silk satin. Well, I should hope so.  

Can you imagine the price if he'd included the sleeves?

For that sum one could take the whole family to Paris -- hotel, food and shopping included. Now there's an idea.

13 comments:

Marsi said...

Femme magazine is very strange. How do the editors justify the contradiction in what they say and what they do, I wonder?

I would so love to have a trip to Paris, and that CL box at Laduree would be on my list. It is to die for. Macarons are a tad too sweet for my taste, but I'm sure I'd find a way to manage.

pasunejeunefille said...

I think Femmes magazine needs a good letter to the editor regarding its apparent ageism. (Which is appalling in a culture that supposedly celebrates women of a certain age!).

Can you get More magazine in France? The only teenagers are in the ads.

Deja Pseu said...

We have "Mode" magazine for the 40+ set. Have to say I've mostly been unimpressed, though I can't recall whether their fashion spreads are modeled by teenagers or not.

Ever since you mentioned black patent loafers in your comments last week, I've been on a mission to find some! Will post about it next week. Bottom line, they have to be comfortable too.

LOVE those Laduree macaroons. As if they need a marketing gimmick, ha!

Lisa said...

I'm not familiar with Femme or Mode that Pseu mentioned, but I usually flip through MORE magazine every month for lack of anything better. In general I think most "women's magazines" are not very interesting because they all seem to follow a certain formula and unfortunately, MORE is no different-hair, makeup, clothes and an article that includes some woman declaring she's the happiest she's ever been now that she's over 40! Oh, and a fluff piece on whatever the issue/cause du jour is. To be fair though, it is nice that MORE does not use teenage models that I'm aware of.

Bonjour Madame said...

Compared to Chanel, it makes the Anne Fontaine piece sound practically free. The Laduree box is calling my name.

Suddenly I'm feeling good about my two pairs of Cole Haan loafers purchased last season!

m-online08 said...

thewomenshop.webs.com

Anoninoz said...

Hmmmm, I am going to see if there are any 'Forty Plus' magazines here in Australia and report back although I bet it will be the same story - it is appalling really and unacceptable too!

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Believe me if I knew how to write more than a bread and butter thank-you note in French I'd whip off an outraged letter to Marie-Claude Pauwels. And to think I thought she would be an inspiring interview for us.

Lesley-Jane Seymour, the editor of MORE is a good friend -- we worked together in the past -- graciously sends it to me every month. Must say I didn't recognize Robin Wright -I-wonder-if-she's going-to-drop-the-Penn, on the September cover, but Lesley, editorially speaking, seems to stay on message as much as is possible in the world of fashion and beauty.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Anoninoz,

Let me know. We can do an international quality check. . .

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

I thought MODE was dead and gone.

Deja Pseu said...

Typo on my part, I meant "More".

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

I know, Lisa, It seems as if hitting that 4 0 mark is the best thing that could ever happen to a woman.

Lesley does keep her covers on message. Re-touching, lighting and all the rest are all part of the business. Everyone selling us something believes we want to see perfection. I don't know, maybe we do. Also love the fact everything is called: "Aspirational."

Lisa said...

Tishjett,

Well, it does seem as if your friend at MORE has improved it somewhat since the last editor there, so kudos to her for that. There seems to be a little more balance to some of the articles since she came on board.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...