Saturday, September 19, 2009

Edible Art



















































































In staying with our weekend deco theme, today I'm presenting you with two choices on how you might like to savor your fin de semaine cadeaux

You may use as objets d'art or smash and consume. 

A little background: Last Saturday my friend Ann (English) and I were invited to an exhibition of an acquaintance. The artist is of the cerebral, esoteric, philosophical, metaphysical genre -- (are you with me?) and unfortunately she likes to explain her work at length. Basically, it's about tricking the eye into seeing colors that aren't there, but really are, but if you don't know how to look at the canvas you don't see them and so on. One thing I can tell you, the human eye cannot detect anything it recognizes beyond vertical lines, rectangles and the frames.

After this intellectually trying experience Ann and I decided we needed something more down to earth, something we could both understand and appreciate without explanations. It was too early for wine so we headed toward the next best thing.

By what can only be explained as a miracle of fate, the exhibition was in the same town as the Colas chocolate factory. Off we went. . .

Here's the best part: The Colas family keeps a large urn of hot chocolate brewing throughout the day with a sign next to a stack of cups that says, "help yourself." Nowhere on the sign did it say how many times. Ann, unkindly I thought, said she thought I consumed the equivalent of two kilos of calories. Also, next to the cash register, a bowl full of a variety of chocolate is there for the testing.

We both bought lots of chocolate. I, to take home to my Reason-for-Living-in France and because I was feeling guilty about what I had consumed sur place; Ann bought the "tubes of paint" for an artist friend.

(I asked permission to photograph the chocolate -- yes, everything you see is chocolate -- and was told I could if I didn't touch anything. It was difficult enough holding a cup of hot chocolate and a camera so it was simply a question of finding an angle.)

The weather is glorious here, I hope it is where you are. Have a lovely weekend.

Tomorrow I'll tell you what's on the calendar for next week.

Bisou

3 comments:

ParisBreakfasts said...

WOW Those street signs are phenomenal (sp)
Wait it's ALL super!!
merci

Deja Pseu said...

Lovely! I'll bet they're all delicious too.

The Wanderers' Daughter said...

Beautiful collection of images!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...