Saturday, September 26, 2009

Diner Chez Anne-Françoise



















































































The odds are against it over 20-some years, but never -- not ever -- have we not had fun at a dinner party chez Anne-Françoise and Daniel. Last night, although we were only eight, normally we're minimum 12, the evening was not simply amusing, it was raucous. It reached all-time highs and lows on the un-politically correct front; flirting and serious detours into Madoff territory -- one of the guests was an investment banker -- we even touched on the G-20 rendezvous in Pittsburg.

At one point, yes I admit we did drink a lot of wine at table, Anne-Françoise got up from her place, came over to me and unbuttoned the top button of my jacket. "It's been driving me crazy ever since you walked through the door," she explained. 

All the men cheered including My-Reason-for-Living-in France who had gently suggested before we left the house to unbutton. So I undid another. Gosh, we do have rollicking good times out here in the country.

(I had a camisole on under the jacket, but I thought it looked chic buttoned to the neck with the collar turned-up into a winged effect. Guess not.)

Anne-Françoise is one of the reasons I decided to start a blog called "My French Friends' Houses" on which I have not written one word, but may one of these days. I really could fill a book.

Back to A-F, she always sets the most beautiful, creative tables -- her houses are to die-for, but that's for another time -- so I thought I would invite you to see last night's arrangement. She brought the handcrafted wooden toucans -- in the center of the table perched on branches intertwined with ivy from her garden -- from Brazil where she lived for several years. The damask tablecloth and napkins, from France, were embroidered in Brazil to her design.

(You may be looking at her table thinking she forgot water glasses, but she announced early on she thought no one would be interested in water. She was right. Only one person drank water, as well as wine of course.)

She keeps a "guest book" into which she writes the date, names of guests, menu and how the table was set, sometimes including a snap shot, so she never repeats the same evenings. 

Oh, yes dinner was delicious. The apple tart was made by her husband, a first to my knowledge, with apples from their garden. 

A demain for the weekly line-up. Have a happy weekend.

9 comments:

Bonjour Madame said...

How wonderful this looks. I love a round table and it's decorated beautifully. It sounds like the conversation was a lot of fun too!

Deja Pseu said...

What a gorgeous and unique table setting! It sounds like a wonderful evening all around.

Marsi said...

You are living the life! Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Rita said...

I love every detail of your evening. Is there anything better than an evening with friends? Good food is just the icing on the cake.

knitpurl said...

Distinctive and beautiful.
-C.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Yes, it was a perfect evening. I forgot to mention, in the all-over-the-place conversation, at one point someone started talking about the mistress of Charles II or Henri something-or-other and "arguments" were launched until the Larousse dictionary was brought to the table and the debate was resolved.

Such fun, wish you had been there.

My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a delightful post. I felt as if I were dining with you (perhaps more like wishing I was there also). Sounds like a fun time was had by all. I love your blog and I'll be back again soon. Thanks for stopping by my kitchen. A bientot.
Sam

receptionist jobs said...

That is a beautiful dining settings and a very deliciously looking pie.

Fort bonifacio condo said...

Oh! Wow! Can you invite me in to dinner? I would love to taste and look at this fascinating table set.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...