Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Pulpeuse et Un Peu Ronde













































In so many instances, apart from the intrinsic sonorous beauty of the French language, it is in its ambiguity, it's open-ended qualifiers that leave descriptions and pronouncements flou obliging us to reason, to think and at times create mental pictures in order to understand -- or partially understand -- what has been said to us.

Take the expression "un peu"  -- a little or a little bit -- for example. It precedes so many situations and descriptions that it's practically a colloquial tic. One can be un peu shocked, surprised, angry, disappointed and so on.  Its uses are infinite and are usually not modifiers of understatement but rather of strong sentiment or opinion.

Un peu ronde, an expression I find charming, is used to describe a woman who is not, as the French say, an haricot vert. But my favorite word to define curves is "pulpeuse" which translates as voluptuous and curvy. Now I ask you, don't the words ronde and pulpeuse provoke lovely, romantic images?

Working from the assumption we are not all green beans and taking my usual circuitous route, I asked Edith to draw some beautiful women un peu ronde et pulpeuse, to prove it's not necessarily the form, it's the femme that counts when it comes to fashion.











































A few rules: 

1.) Keep lines long and lean. No body chopping with separates and color. Think vertical. 
2.) Yes you can wear lime trousers if the top is like those drawn here.
3.) Every woman can wear a peasant blouse. If you prefer long sleeves, they're out there.
4.) Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize.
5.) Grooming, grooming, grooming.























A few more ways to wear your lime (or any other color pants):

1.) Long black, deep V-neck sweater.
2.) Big, linen shirts.
3.) Tunics with a bit of fit and flare. (Be careful with patterns: Try, turn around, decide.)
4.) Instead of the navy blazer above with the polo, do it with a black jacket and polo.
5.) Long navy sweater.
6.) A lime and white striped big shirt, sleeves rolled a couple of times so it's not too prissy.
7.) A navy or black camisole under the jackets.
8.) Same thing goes for a bustier if you're not too, too well-endowed.  No hanging over the balcony if you know what I mean. . .
9.) A black or navy twin-set -- try to find a long version. 
10.) A black or navy Marcel under the jackets or a linen shirt.

Ed. Note: Of course this exercise could have been done with dark trousers, but I thought I would prove to you you could go right for those lime, fuchsia or yellow pants on their fifth markdown and turn them into a stylish staple.

6 comments:

knitpurl said...

Thank you Tish, another posting to mull over. Pulpeuse is my new favorite French word!

Cristel was correct yesterday about make-up. Today I donned make-up despite local weather. I admit to feeling and looking (my mirror says) prettier. Wearing make-up 9 mos. of the year is replaced by year 'round.
-C.

Marsi said...

Wonderful post. Those lime green slacks are fabulous! I am always so fascinated with the abstract way Edith draws feet -- just a hint of the shoes. I wish I could draw. *le sigh*

knitpurl said...

Tish, just read your suggestion for makeup in hot, muggy weather (which returns here in 2 days) and I will give it a try/brush. Thank You!
-C.

Bonjour Madame said...

I love all the sketches and colors used here. They are very flattering combinations. I'm going to have to hunt for a pair of colorful trousers.

I thought of your prior post today. I was in a parking lot and a rushed woman was about 20 paces in front of me and she (I shudder to say this)....spit! Right there on the ground. And then kept walking on her way. She was dressed average, but this was probably the single most unfeminine behavior I have ever experienced in person in my life! The horror!

tishjett said...

Marsi, I too wish I could draw. I also wish I could sing.

Oh, well. . .

tishjett said...

Stephanie,

I hope that was a once in a lifetime experience for you. I have yet to witness such a ladylike gesture.

Hard to imagine.

I'm sure there must be colorful trousers out there that others less empowered than all of you are are afraid to buy, even on the fifth or sixth markdown.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...