Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fabulous Fall Fashion Freebies (Well, Almost. . .)























This week I said to Edith: "I've got a great idea." Actually, I say that to her every week, so she just sort of rolls her eyes and says, "I'm listening."

I explained that by now you have done your cover to cover fall/winter fashion reconnaissance review in your favorite magazines and are probably wondering why "she" (meaning moi) hasn't said a word about the up-coming season in a futile effort to drag out the last days of summer. 

Since I like easing into new situations -- a dabble here, a dabble there -- before plunging in and making an egregious error, I thought perhaps you might like to dabble with me.

Without further ado, here is my GREAT idea: By spending almost no money you can add bits and pieces of "newness," i.e.: "See I know what's hot in the fun-filled world of frivolous fashion at this very second and I'm already on message," and turn what you already own into the latest and the greatest. (I apologize for whatever punctuation or lack thereof makes that sentence difficult to digest, but in my excitement I couldn't stop and worry about commas.)

Assumption:  Every woman in the world owns a black skirt. And if she doesn't she better get one tout-de suite because no woman can live without one. It's the basic foundation of everything in our closets. Whatever shape suits your body is the one you should choose. Forget about designer dictates. You're in this game for yourself -- it's all about you, always. That's what French women know instinctively.

These are the budget friendly touches that will up-date and chic-start your fall wardrobes:

1.) Add rounded Velcro shoulder pads to sweaters and some blouses, like the beige one I invented for example. The black turtleneck sweater -- which you already own -- also becomes "this minute" by the addition of light padding.























2.) Belts, belts, belts. I chose the leopard Azzedine Alaia for the turtleneck/skirt combo because it provides a nice break, almost turns the separates into a LBD and as we've discussed waaaaay too many times leopard remains a staple through winter. (Surely there are some belts out there if one is so inclined.)

Belts cinch in or simply mark the waist on sweaters, jackets, blouses, dresses and coats. 























The double-wrap which twirls twice around the gray flannel jacket is a biggie.

3.) All you need is a wide, soft ribbon as the one on the shocking pink blouse and voila, another up-date a la Chanel.























4.) See the cord around the waist of the beige blouse? A visit to the curtain department of your favorite store should accomplish this dress-up embellishment. Go for bright color and maybe some gold. It was an important accessory from the Chloe pret-a-porter collection.

5.) If you scroll up to last week's Top 10 on white blouses, look at the velvet ribbon in Carolina Herrera's black trousers.

6.) See all the black opaque hose? Get some. Wolfords are expensive, but worth every centime they're simply the best of the best paying for themselves over and over. You'll buy fewer and wear them longer. 

18 comments:

Deja Pseu said...

Lovely ideas here! I'm eyeing a black pencil skirt from BR, maybe to bring to Paris, and am looking for anything with a flounced hem. Unfortunately it will be too warm for tights until December here, but a girl can dream.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

D.P,

Go for it, you MUST have your perfect black skirt and you MUST bring it to Paris, then you can find all sorts of nifty additions when you arrive.

(Bring your tights to Paris. Even if its sweltering in October you can be sure Frenchwomen will be wearing them. As you know chic before comfort.)

Marsi said...

I'll never get over the Wolford shop closing its doors in my city two years ago and me missing out on the final sales. I make do with tights from Target, which are plenty indestructible themselves. Wolfords must be made out of Kevlar to have such a reputation.

I'm glad you're talking about fall a bit, Tish. I actually WAS wondering what your fall thoughts were the other night when I was looking through the September issue of American Vogue right before bed. Didn't think you'd say anything till la rentree, so this was a treat. I know there's more to come.

erina said...

LOVE Edith's illustrations!! They are so charming. Great ideas for Fall too. I'm not a fashion person, just an interested bystander, but posts like this one make it all seem more do-able.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Yes, indeed, dear Marsi,

There is much, much more to come.

I am now turning to our other mode of communication. . .

Lorrie said...

Wonderful ideas - especially for those of us on a strict budget this year.

Deja Pseu said...

tishjett - can you give some suggestions for footwear to go with that skirt and tights that would be appropriate for the kind of walking we'll be doing in Paris? I'm starting my pre-Paris packing obsession. ;-)

Bonjour Madame said...

*anxiously awaiting Paris footwear answer to question posed by Deja Pseu*

I love these illustrations. I'm intrigued by chanel'ing up a skirt and top that way. A delicate cord may be just the thing. I bet you could do a lot with it. Love it!

knitpurl said...

Dabble on...
-Carole

Note to Deja Pseu, can we all be jealous that you will soon be off to Paris?

Bonjour Madame said...

Can I just say how much I adore your comment section? It's like a lively French Salon full of discussion. You have a way of getting people talking!

Shelley said...

Well, being of German rather than French stock, I have tree trunk legs and no chin and so wear skirts rarely and would only wear a turtleneck if I wanted to be a turtle. That said, I do have a black chenille skirt from Agnes B in Paris (I'm tempted to type that last bit over again, I love the sound of it so. This was a real splurge for someone who usually shops in thrift stores.) and a black cashmere/angora v-neck cardigan from same.

I do find that black tights, black flats and black skirt make skirt wearing almost tolerable for me. I'm sure you'll say I should wear heels but I cannot walk very far in heels so save them for days when I have the car.

Is there any place in your lookbook for longer skirts and knee-high boots? These have always been what made me love fall and winter.

I might also mention that my waistline disappeared with The Change, but now that I've discovered your website and been reminded that the French think women improve with age, I'm determined to live up to that: I had my first glass of lemon water yesterday morning.

PS The fashion sketches are wonderful. My Mom could draw well and entertained me as a child for hours as we designed clothing together.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Erina,

I'm glad you visit anyway. Bystander or not fashion is fun. I don't think one has to participate in a game in order to enjoy it.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Thank you Lorrie, this theme will be continuing on and off. Once we all have several -- that means three or more -- decades under our new double-wrap belts, most of us have the basics covered.

From that point on all a wardrobe needs is upkeep and tweaking for the new seasons.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Dear D.P.,

I recommend black patent leather moccasins for day and black ballerinas for the evening if your feet are tired and/or you don't feel like packing heels.

You could of course wear ballerinas during the day, but for lots and lots of walking they won't give you the same support.

Black patent loafers are a great investment. They're a great investment, they go with everything, work all year 'round and add that little pizzazz that plain leather lacks.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Yes, Stephanie, please do keep saying whatever crosses your mind. I love it too.

knitpurl said...

Just had to add -- Shelley, loved your thoughts. You sort of defined me too with a few pluses and minuses here and there.

Just join us all in ONE of Tish's mantras, which she posted above, "As you know chic before comfort." And I thought I gave that up almost 2 decades ago!

Deja Pseu said...

Thanks! I have a few bookmarked, including a YSL pair at a good discount from Bluefly.

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Dear Shelley,

You know those black trousers (or those several pairs of black trousers) hanging in your closet? Take all of the tips from this post and change the pants for the skirt. Voila. You're good to go.

Add shoulder pads to your V-neck sweater and if you would consider wearing a belt you can sling it around the general waist area and let it hang as it may -- the cord would be perfect for that purpose. If you can't deal with it, forget it.

Get a great hair-cut, be meticulous with a little bit of makeup and pile on lots of baubles and beads or just your new creoles. . .

Loved your comments. Thank you so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...