Thursday, June 11, 2009

Watch For This Watch

























































































































Michelle Obama was wearing one in vibrant violet when she visited the Eiffel Tower last week. 

And since that day women from every corner of the earth want one on their wrists tout de suite. Naomi Campbell, Al Gore, Allison Janney, Ellen Degeneres, Portia Di Rossi, Madonna, Brook Shields, Charlize Theron, Uma Therman and Oprah, among others, have been wearing them for a while now. They probably gave a collective sigh of relief, secure in the knowledge they're on message.

Of course we're talking about the famous ToyWatch. Inspired by the Rolex Submariner except in plastic and a fraction of the the price; They're the new wrist candy. I must admit I think they're great, but imagine they get a tad tacky (as in sticky, but it was worth the alliteration. . .) under the band in the summer.

If you go to the site you can have a fun, fashion experience. By mixing and matching interchangeable faces and bands you can create your own custom designed timepiece. Really, when is the last time you could even imagine having such an amusing hands-on experience?

Clearly, a ToyWatch is not an investment like your Cartier Tank, Patek Philippe, or your Rolex, but sometimes girls just gotta have fun.  

If you're seeking investment and plastic all rolled into one quadruple-your-money in the next few years accessory, may I suggest you buy Philippe Starck's chairs: Louis Ghost and La Marie.

(He too was once a neighbor. I would often see him at the épicerie or the market making everyone laugh. He is hilarious. We were chez lui one day -- can't remember why -- and a millisecond before stepping into his salon we noticed beams of light criss-crossing the space so obviously we were terrified to walk into the room for fear of setting off an alarm. It was a work of art he told us, with no electronic connection to armed guards. I'm sure it was some modern masterpiece, but what do I know?)

8 comments:

Marsi said...

It's fun to have people in the White House who aren't 20 years behind the times.

What an incredible childhood for those little girls. I read that Sasha celebrated her 8th birthday in Paris. That's the way to do it!

Marsi said...

Um ... wow?

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article6470675.ece

tish jett said...

Marsi,

What comes after /wor....... I can't find what you're wowed about and of course I can't stand not knowing.

Yes, the French press reported that Sasha got some nifty things at Bonpoint, Malia probably did as well although she may have wanted more "grown-up" clothes.

Indeed what an incredible childhood.

Entre nous, entre amis, am I starting to sound obnoxious? i just re-read my Philippe Starck thing and thought maybe I am. Perhaps I should cut it from the post?

Plus tomorrow I was going to mention someone else who lived near us for many years. I swear I'm not a name-dropper, it's pure coincidence and sort of thought it made my posts seem more personal.

You can be brutally honest with me now that we're friends.

Merci par avance.

Marsi said...

You couldn't see the picture of Michelle O wearing that insane, ruffled shirt and a belt on top of it? OMG ... it is so, um, interesting to behold?

I wish she'd ask Isaac Mizrahi for some help.

I don't think you sound obnoxious at all, but it is definitely triggering in me an existential crisis -- to wit, "Woe is I. Why, oh, why do I live in Denver? Am I doomed to stay here forever?"

;o)

Next you'll tell us that you hang out with Ines de la Fressange, too, and then I will go straight over the edge.

tish jett said...

Nope, didn't see it and perhaps that's just as well from your description.

Whew, that's a relief. No, do not know Ines, have met her, seen her on the runway, etc., but certainly do not know her. And she does not live anywhere near us.

There you go.

Bonjour Madame said...

I saw the tragic choice of top worn by M.O. in London. It was so wrong.

I think Philippe Starck designed the lighting in the hotel room I stayed in in Paris. Yet another fabulous friend you have! I don't think it's obnoxious at all, love hearing all about it.

-Stephanie

knitpurl said...

Phillipe Starck! Hmm what an adventure that was. And, Tish, you NEVER sound/read obnoxious. Your blog is fun with the added bonus of being informative.
-Carole

tish jett said...

Thank you my dears. I don't know what I would do without you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...